Council Tax Empty Properties
Frequently Asked Questions
- I have moved to a new address but have not yet sold my old property, Can I apply for any reduction?
- What will I have to pay if I buy a second home?
- If I owned a property and decided to rent it to a tenant, who would be responsible for the council tax?
- My property is in need of structural repairs and uninhabitable, will I be entitled to any reduction?
- I have an empty property what are my options?
- Who to contact?
Effective 1 April 2013, there is no exemption or discount available for unoccupied properties and they are subject to 100% charge.
Effective 1 April 2013, there is no exemption or discount for 2nd homes and they are subject to 100% charge.
If I owned a property and decided to rent it to a tenant, who would be responsible for the council tax?
If the owner resides in the property being rented they will remain liable for the Council Tax. If the owner does not live in the property the tenant will become liable for the Tax until such time as their lease/rental agreement ceases. Once the tenant has vacated and the lease/rental agreement has expired, the owner becomes liable for Council Tax at the full 100% charge.
My property is in need of structural repairs and uninhabitable, will I be entitled to any reduction?
Effective 1 April 2013 there is no exemption or discount available for properties undergoing structural repair. The owner can appeal to the Valuation Office Agency to request the property be removed from tax, the contact details are as follows:-
The Listing Officer, Council Tax North, Valuation Office Agency, King William House, Market Place, Hull, HU1 1RT.
- What to do with your empty house 160.59 KB
- Lease and Repair Option 606.38 KB
- An inexpensive and convenient way to sell your empty property 589.99 KB
If you live in Ashton or Mossley:
0161 342 2015 0161342 2012 Send a Message to Ashton/Mossley Council Tax Team
If you live in Denton or Dukinfield:
0161342 2099 0161 342 2012 Send a Message to Denton/Dukinfield Council Tax Team
If you live in Audenshaw, Hyde or Longdendale:
0161 342 2065 0161342 2012 Send a Message to Audenshaw/Hyde/Longdendale Council Tax Team
If you live in Droylsden or Stalybridge:
0161 342 2080 0161342 2012 Send a Message to Droylsden/Stalybridge Council Tax Team