A to Z of services          A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P R S T U V W Y Z

Temporary Absence from Home

Temporary Absence From Home

Housing Benefit can still be paid in respect of your home during a period of temporary absence providing:

  1. You intend to occupy the dwelling as your home upon your return
  2. The part of the dwelling you normally occupy is not let or sub-let
  3. The period of absence is unlikely to exceed 52 weeks if you are:
    • A prisoner on remand
    • An in-patient in hospital or similar institution
    • Receiving medical treatment or medically approve d convalescence for yourself, your partner or a dependent child in the UK or abroad, but not in residential accommodation
    • Undertaking an approved training course in the UK or abroad
    • Providing medically approved care in the UK or abroad
    • Providing care for a child whose parent or guardian is receiving medical treatment or medically approved care
    • Receiving medically approved care in the UK or abroad but not in residential accommodation
    • Vulnerable students
    • In fear of violence
    • Receiving care in residential accommodation other than in a trial basis

In all other circumstances the period of absence must not exceed 13 weeks.

The 1st and 3rd conditions must be satisfied throughout the period of absence. The 2nd condition disqualifies any entitlement to Benefit during the period the property is let or sub-let.

To avoid loss of benefit you must advise the local authority of your situation before the absence occurs.

For more information contact a Customer Services Centre.

Page last updated: 5 February 2016