Blue Badge (Disabled Parking) Scheme
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Blue Badge Scheme?
- What are the rules for getting a Blue Badge?
- Organisational Blue Badges
- How do you apply?
- Is there a charge?
- How long will it take?
- How long does the badge last for?
- Will I get a reminder when my badge is due to expire?
The blue badge scheme is a national scheme for people who:
- Are registered blind or
- Have severe walking difficulties or
- If you drive a motor vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms and are unable to operate all or some types of parking meter (or would find it very difficult to operate them)
The scheme provides a wide range of parking benefits. For example the scheme enables badge holders to park for an extended period in pay and display car parks. This means you can purchase a pay and display ticket and then receive an extra hour of parking on top of the time you have paid for. You must display your Blue Badge as well as your pay and display ticket. There is no requirement to display your clock in pay and display car parks. You can also park on single and double yellow lines in most streets for up to 3 hours providing you don't cause an obstruction.
Tameside Customer Services administers the scheme for Tameside residents on behalf of the Department for Transport .
For people who do not live in Tameside, please contact your local council. They should be able to help.
Eligibility is considered in terms of being "eligible without further assessment" or "eligible subject to further assessment".
You can get a badge without further assessment if you are more than two years old and fall within one or more of the following:
- You receive the higher rate of the Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance or have scored 8 points or more under the 'moving around' activity of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP).
- You receive a War Pensioners' Mobility supplement.
- You are registered blind.
- You receive a benefit under the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme and have been certified by the SPVA as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes either an inability or very considerable difficulty walking
You can also get a badge subject to further assessment if:
- You drive a motor vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms, and are unable to operate all or some types of parking meter (or would find it very difficult to operate them);
- You are more than two years of age, have a permanent and substantial disability which means you are unable to walk, or virtually unable to walk.
- You are a child less than three years old who, because of a specific medical condition, needs to travel with bulky medical equipment or needs to be close to a vehicle for emergency medical treatment.
- If you are applying for a badge under any of the above 'subject to further assessment' categories you will need to complete the relevant sections on the application form. Please ensure you answer all the required questions. Please provide as much information as possible about any relevant medical conditions.
An organisational badge may be issued to an organisation for use in a motor vehicle or vehicles when the vehicle or vehicles are to be used to carry disabled people who would themselves be eligible for a badge as specified in Section 4(2) of the Disabled Persons (Badges for Motor Vehicles) (England) Regulations 2000.
An ‘organisation’ is defined in the 2000 Regulations as meaning an organisation concerned with the care of disabled persons to which a disabled persons badge may be issued in accordance with section 21(4) of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970.
To apply for an organisational blue badge please print, complete and return this form 481.58 KB and return it to the address below.
You can apply for a Blue Badge online.You can also contact the Blue Badge Section within Customer Services on 0161 342 8355 and ask them for an application form for a blue badge. Alternatively print out a Blue Badge Application Form and Guidance Notes and either hand in at any customer service centre or library or post it to us at the address on the form. Don't forget to sign it, include 2 photographs signed on the back and don't forget to send photocopies of any documentary evidence that the form asks for. Please use the checklist at the back of the form to ensure you have sent all relevant documentation. Missing documentation will delay your application.
Yes - the fee for a Blue Badge will be £10 with effect from 1 January 2012. You can pay by cheque or postal order or by credit or debit card. Cheques should be made payable to Tameside MBC. Please see the guidance with the Application Form. With effect from 1 January 2012 we will only charge a fee if your application is successful. If you have paid by cheque or postal order your cheque will not be banked until the application is approved. If your application is unsuccessful your cheque or postal order will be returned. If you wish to pay by credit or debit card we will contact you by phone to take the payment once your application is approved.
If you are applying for the first time once we have received your completed application form and assessed your application we will issue the badge within 28 days and contact you to arrange collection from any Customer Service Centre. If you are renewing an existing badge we recommend you apply approximately 8 weeks before your badge expires to allow time for assessment of your application. We have changed the way that applicants are assessed for a Blue Badge and you may be asked to attend an Independent Mobility Assessment with an Occupational Therapist if you are not in receipt of a qualifying Benefit. With effect from January 2012 there will be a new style of Blue Badge incorporating security features that make badges harder to forge. If you have an old-style badge it will remain valid until the expiry date and you will be issued with a new-style badge when your current badge expires and you renew your application.
Each Blue Badge can last for a maximum of 3 years. If you still need the badge after the expiry date you can apply for a new one.
Unfortunately, reminders are not sent out for badges that are due to expire.
For further information on the Blue Badge Scheme please contact: