Bulky Household Refuse Collection Service
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I dispose of large household items?
If you have a large item such as an piece of furniture or a fridge etc you wish to dispose of, we offer the Bulky Household Refuse Removal Service at a small charge. We will take any Bulky Household waste that you might have taken with you if you moved house.
Do you offer a free collection service for white goods?
We offer a free collection service to pensioners for the removal of white goods. View our terms and conditions.
When will you collect?
Items will be collected on a clear weekly collection day for each of the areas within Tameside MBC.
- Monday - No Collection
- Tuesday - Audenshaw, Denton and Droylsden
- Wednesday - Hyde, Longdendale and Stalybridge
- Thursday - Ashton-under-Lyne, Dukinfield and Mossley
- Friday - No collection
Requests have to be made by 3pm the day before the collection day.
- Before 3pm on Monday for a Tuesday collection
- Before 3pm on Tuesday for a Wednesday collection
- Before 3pm on Wednesday for a Thursday collection
Please note that items should be available for collection from 7.00am. The items will be collected between the hours of 7am and 3pm.
What will you collect?
We will collect maximum of 5 household items such as 3-piece suite (which is classed as three items), carpets, chairs, bed, mattress etc. The general rule is, if you would take it with you when you move house, it is likely to be suitable for this service.
Still unsure about what we will collect? See General Points
What won't you collect?
- Domestic Waste either loose or bagged
- Bags of Rubble
- Concrete Posts
- Garage Doors/Window Frames
- Garden Waste e.g. Trees
- Fluid Containers e.g. Drums
- Wire Fencing and Large Fire Surrounds
- Doors - Internal and External
- Gas Bottles
- Fence Panels
- Car/Motorbike Parts
- Xmas Trees
- Large Gates
- General Builders Waste
- Sunbed tubes (they must be removed from the unit prior to disposal)
The council provides a service for items such as these at a chargeable cost. Bulky and miscellaneous waste from commercial premises can be removed at very competitive rates. A minimum charge for this is £110.00 plus cost of tonnage, however, we would come out and provide an estimate as to exact charge. For further information, please contact us.
What will it cost me?
There is a £28 non refundable administration charge (from 1 April 2016) for this service which is payable in advance. You can pay online. Where you pay by credit card it will be necessary for you to pick up the charges imposed by credit card companies on the Council for this facility and therefore you will incur a further 2% administration fee if you choose to pay by credit card.
You can also pay by cheque at any of our In Touch Customer Service Centres (see "how to contact us" for locations.
How can I dispose of other items?
You can take your household rubbish or items to a civic amenity site.
These are located at Bayley Street, Stalybridge and Ash Road, Droylsden. They are open 7 days a week. Both sites are open from 8am until 8pm April to October and 8am until 6pm beginning November to end of March every day except Christmas Day.
Smaller items can be taken to our recycling points.
General points to follow:-
- One Carpet must be manageable by 2 people, otherwise cut into pieces, rolled and tied.
- Carpet does not include underlay. This is a separate item.
- One wardrobe does not mean a full bedroom suite.
- Items should not be filled with other rubbish.
- Items must be easily accessible outside and at one point, not all over the property.
- If 2 identical items on site but only one on request, none of the items in question will be taken.
- Only items listed will be removed, any additions must be done on a separate request.
All items must be listed as follows:
- 1 Settee
- 1 Chair
- 1 Chair
- 1 3 piece suite
- 1 Complete bed
- 1 Settee
- 2 Chair
- 3 Bed Base
Further information is available at the Recycle for Greater Manchester recycling centres page
How can I request this service?