A-Z
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Facts About Denton

A comprehensive selection of historical photographs can be found at www.tameside.gov.uk/history


  • The town Denton resides in Tameside

  • The name Denton means "a village in a valley"!

  • There was once at least 4 cinemas in Denton! The Palace on Ashworth Street opened in 1912 and could seat nearly 900 people. It closed in 1959 and was demolished in the early 1970s to become the Co-op car park. The Barcliff on Ashton Road opened in 1939 as a cinema and closed in 1996 as a bingo hall. There was also the People's Hall on Prestwich Street, which was a cinema from 1908 to 1958, and until recently, was a roller skating rink and The Rota on Thornley Lane.

  • Hatting was the most prominent industry in Denton, as by 1800, there were at least twenty listed manufacturers. However, over the years there were a total of 86 Hatting firms listed. Some of the more famous ones include Howes, Wilsons, J and T Moores, Walker, Ashworth and Linney, William Brown and Sons Ltd, James Bevan and Co, and Messrs Cook, Smith and Co.

  • Denton Central Primary School, once known as Denton Council School, Duke Street, was converted to a military hospital during the First World War. During the Second World War it was used as a first aid station, run by the St John Ambulance Brigade.

  • Private Albert Hill was awarded the Victoria Cross during the First World War. He had been a planker at Wilson's Hat Works until he joined the army. He was awarded the medal, along with the French Croix de Guerre and the Russian Cross of St George for his bravery on July 20th 1916. On this day he took part in an attack on Delville Wood and whilst separated from the main attack party he came upon the enemy position and killed nineteen Germans by throwing grenades, the rest scattered. He then carried a wounded captain back to safety and captured a further two Germans. He was the only hat worker to win the Victoria Cross.

  • On 17th July 1942, a German bomb was found at Hyde Hall Farm. The bomb had lain twenty-five feet down in a field, unexploded, since the Christmas blitz of 1940. After being defused, it was then displayed on the bandstand in Victoria Park, Denton, for a month to raise money for the National Air-Raid Distress Fund.

  • Francis Kirk and Son Ltd of Saxon Street, Denton has been in business in Denton since it's formation in 1868. The company has been owned and run by the Kirk Family, who are still actively involved.

  • Mick Hucknall, the lead singer with Simply Red, was born and educated in Denton.

  • On a stone plinth outside the Church of St. Lawrence in Denton this plaque remembers John Angier.

  • In the grounds of the Church of St. Lawrence a plaque celebrates the history of the building, Denton Church.

  • On the former Denton Town Hall on Market Street a plaque was unveiled on 18th September 1993 to commemorate the signing of the Charter of Friendship between Denton and Montigny le Bretonneux.

  • The town of Denton has proud links with Albert Hill who, despite being a weak and frail child, became a great soldier awarded the Victoria Cross for his action at the Somme. The blue plaque is located in the Memorial Gardens in Denton.

  • A plaque is erected on a building on Wilton Street in Denton. It commemorates all those women who worked in the Hatting industry during the time of Industrial Revolution and pays tribute to their fortitude.

  • Sir Geoff Hurst was born and lived in Denton until he was 8.

If you know an interesting fact about Denton please Send Electronic Message Send a Message to the Webmaster.

Related Items