A to Z of services          A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P R S T U V W Y Z

People with Disabilities

People with Disabilities

DVD Logo For a quick look at some of the services available for people with a hearing, sight or mobility problem, carers and people struggling to keep their independence, you can watch our 6 minute DVD, which is called Help with social care from Adult Services. You can also watch the 11 minute DVD, which is the British Sign Language versionClick here to download the Free RealPlayer

If you do not have Realplayer, please visit www.real.com Link to External Website (for free Realplayer download).

  • Adult Learning
    Courses for Learners with Additional Needs
  • Adult Placement
    The Adult Placement Team helps approved Adult Placement Carers (ordinary people from the local community) to share their home and time with someone in need. 
  • Adult Services
    Help and support for individuals over 18 and their families in the community to live independent lives.
  • Alarms
    Help on hand 24 hours a day at the touch of a button.
  • Attendance Allowance
    A Guide to claiming Attendance Allowance.
  • Bathing
    Information for anyone having difficulties overcoming problems with bathing due to mobility problems.
  • Blue Badge Scheme
    Disabled parking scheme for those who are registered blind, have severe walking difficulties or who regularly drive but are unable to turn the steering wheel by hand'.
  • British Sign Language
    The council provides a service for deaf people available in British Sign Language, sign supported English, Deaf-Blind manual, hands-on and lip speaking.
  • Bus Passes
  • Care Homes
    Information on residential and nursing homes in Tameside.
  • Carers Centre
    Based at 50 Warrington Street, Ashton-under-Lyne, offers a wide range of information and support to people who look after other people.
  • Centre for the Visually Impaired
    The service is provided for anyone who is blind, partially sighted or has a visual impairment and is held at Dukinfield Library.
  • Children with Disabilities
    A resource centre for children with disabilities and their families.
  • Clubs
    Links to the community database holding details of local disabled clubs.
  • Countryside Access
    For People with Limited Mobility.
  • Day Centres
  • Deaf/Hard of Hearing
    People can get advice and equipment from our Hearing Impairment Team. Staff use British Sign Language and have a wide network of specialist resources and support groups.
  • Disability Housing Support
    Support with issues around housing for people with a physical or sensory disability aged between 18 – 65yrs.
  • Disability Living Allowance
    A Guide to claiming Disability Living Allowance
  • Disability Reduction Claim Form
    Apply on-line for this Council Tax Discount
  • Employment
    Routes to Work helps people who have a disability find and keep employment.
  • Equipment and Adaptations
  • Hearing Impaired
    People can get advice and equipment from our Hearing Impairment Team, based at Stalybridge Resource Centre. Staff use British Sign Language and have a wide network of specialist resources and support groups.
  • Homecare Services
    For people who have difficulties and who may be able to get help with personal care, cleaning and shopping. There is a great demand for this service and it is only available following an assessment of need.
  • Housebound People
    Council staff will gladly visit housebound people to advise on the range of council services available and on benefits.  Contact your local Customer Service Centre.
  • Home Library Service
    Delivering books and audio cassettes to housebound people.
  • Interpreting and Communication Service - TICS
    For people who are deaf/hard of hearing. The service provides confidential, professional and highly qualified interpretation between sign language and spoken English.
  • Laundry Providers
    For people who are find it difficult to do their own laundry.
  • Learning Disabilities Service
    A range of services for people with a learning disability and who are residents of Tameside.
  • Life Event
    Pages designed to provide some useful help and advice to anyone who becomes disabled whether you have a physical or sensory disability.
  • Links to External Disability Sites Link to External Website
    A number of external links to websites of interest to disabled people.
  • Loxley House
    Day care centre for those people with disabilities.
  • Mental Health 
    You can contact the above services directly for advice if you are concerned for yourself or someone you know.
    You can also get information from the national Mind Link to External Website website or Tameside's local Mind Link to External Website website.
  • Minicoms
  • Motability Link to External Website
  • Nursing/Residential Homes
    Financial Information for people considering going into a Residential or Nursing Home on a Permanent Basis/Respite Care.
  • Occupational Therapy and Manual Handling Team
    For Tameside residents who have a substantial and/or permanent physical disability.
  • Parent Partnership Services
    Offering independent advice and support to parents/carers who have children with special educational needs.
  • Pedestrian Crossings
    Facilities to assist the disabled and mobility impaired.
  • Radar Keys
    For toilets - 0161 342 2400
  • Ring and Ride Link to External Website
    A service provided by Greater Manchester Transport to provide door to door transport for disabled people.
  • Steps and Stairs
    Information for anyone having difficulties overcoming problems with steps and stairs due to mobility problems.
  • Visually Impaired 
    The Visual Impairment Service is for anyone living in Tameside, their families and carers, who experience problems with everyday activities due to significant sight loss.
  • Welfare Rights
    This service provides clear, concise, free and confidential advice and representation in matters of welfare benefits. 
  • Younger Adult Assessment Team
    The Younger Adults Assessment Team supports people with physical and sensory disabilities as well as those needing long term care. You must be between eighteen and sixty five and live in the Tameside area

Page last updated: 12 February 2015