A to Z of services          A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P R S T U V W Y Z

Learning Disability Service - General Information

Learning Disability Service


What is the Learning Disability Service?Adults with bright coloured streamers

This is a service made up of social care and health workers. It provides a variety of support to help those people with a learning disability and their carers.

What is a Learning Disability?

A learning disability starts before adulthood, which as a lasting effect on development.  Having a learning disability affects the ability to:

  • understand new information
  • learn new skills
  • cope independently

Who can use the Learning Disability Service?

You can use the Learning Disability Service if you:

  • have a learning disability
  • live in the Tameside area
  • are over 18

What services do we provide?

Advice and Support from Social Workers and Nurses. They will work with you to identify and get hold of the care and support you need.

Health Care Services are provided by nurses, psychologists, speech therapists, physiotherapists and specialist behavioural therapists.

Day Services provide a range of activities (delivered in a person centred way) to promote your independence and life skills. These may include:

  • community participation 
  • leisure activities 
  • help to build your skills to get a job
  • working with computers

Residential Services help you live as independently as possible. We may help you in your own home with support such as managing finances or cooking. We also provide supported accommodation where assistance is available 24 hour assistance.

Short Term Break (respite) Services provide additional support for parents and carers of people with learning disabilities.

How can you get these services?

By contacting the Adult Assessment and Customer Care Team.

Is there a charge for using the Learning Disability Service?

There is no charge for the assessment or for any information and advice we may give you. However, there may be charges for some of the services we provide. A Social Worker will talk with you about any charges or financial support available.

Complaints, suggestions and comments

Tameside Adult Services is committed to providing quality services. We need to hear from you if you have any complaints, suggestions or compliments about the service you receive.

Safeguarding Adults

If you are being abused or suspect that somebody you know is being abused in any way, please do not ignore it. You can report your concerns or worries by contacting the Safeguarding Adults Team.

You do not have to give your name and any information will be treated confidentially. We will always respect the wishes and feelings of the person at risk of abuse.

Information in other formats and languages

If you would like this information in another language or format please speak to a member of staff from Adult Services.

Contact Information
Send us a Message Send us a Message
Contact by Post

Tameside Adult Services
Stalybridge Resource Centre
Waterloo Road
SK15 2AU
Contact by Telephone
0161 342 2400
Contact by Fax
0161 342 2460
Contact by Minicom
0161 342 2577

Page last updated: 7 April 2014