Facts About Dukinfield
- In 2001 Dukinfield Register Office recorded 2,511 births, 2,439 deaths and 411 marriages.
- St Luke's Church, an imposing red-brick building was licensed for divine service in 1889, and was consecrated in 1902. It has a stained glass window in memory of Daniel Adamson, first chairman of the Manchester Ship Canal Company.
- The Adamson Military Band was formed in 1888 and named itself after the engineer, Daniel Adamson (1820-1890), only begetter of Daniel Adamson & Co. In 1921 the band won first prize at the Military Band Championship in Belle Vue.
- Globe Square was once the hub of the Dukinfield Hall hamlet which began to be demolished after the war. The war memorial, unveiled on 20th March 1920 remembers the men of the district who served their country in the 1914/18 conflict.
- St. Helens Mill was built in 1819, as a cotton mill, but it is more than a century since it was used for that purpose. For many years it was home to the Compo company which manufactured washing powder, and which was owned by Henry Pratt, the first Mayor of Dukinfield.
- The Pyramid Snooker Hall on King Street used to be the Princess Cinema from 1913 until 1960. At one time Dukinfield could boast three cinemas. The first, the Palladium on Crescent Road which closed in 1958, and also the Oxford at the corner of Foundry Street and Oxford Road which finally closed in 1966.
- The Moravians first came to Dukinfield in the 1740's and built their first church there in 1751.
- The Duckenfield family were lords of Dukinfield from the thirteenth century until the mid-eighteenth century. Robert, the son of Colonel Robert Duckenfield, was created the first baronet of Dukinfield in 1665 from which point the family gradually acquired more land in northern and north-eastern Cheshire. In the mid-seventeenth century the family owned the whole of Dukinfield, amounting to 1690 acres, and lands in other Cheshire townships. The title of baronet, however, became separated from the Dukinfield estates on his death in 1758 and passed to a descendant of the second baronet. The last to hold the title was the seventh baronet, the Reverend Henry Robert Dukinfield who died in 1858.
- Dukinfield Park was opened in 1902 at a cost of £15,000 with balustrades and terraces being used to overcome a difference of 80ft from east to west. The sculpture by the main gates replaces a drinking fountain, presented by Sir Arthur and Lady Nicholson, which was audaciously stolen.
- A Blue Plaque at Plantation Farm, Dukinfield celebrates the life of Mary Moffat. It was unveiled in July 1998 by Councillor George Hatton JP.
- Once located near the Dewsnap Sidings, off King Street in Dukinfield, the Astley Deep Pit Mine was reputed to be the deepest coal mine in the world, being 700 yards deep (640 metres). The blue plaque is located at Woodbury Crescent, Dukinfield.
- Dukinfield has proud memories of Andrew Moynihan who came to Crescent Road as a child, his family having moved from Wakefield. The blue plaque is located at the Astley Arms, Chapel Hall, Dukinfield.
- Daniel Adamson was born in Shildon, County Durham on April 30th 1820. He was the thirteenth child of fifteen to Daniel Adamson senior and Ann Gibson. The blue plaque is located on Adamson Street, Dukinfield.
- A plaque erected at Dukinfield Town Hall in celebration of the life of John Golland, a composer, arranger and band conductor, born in Ashton-under-Lyne and who lived in Dukinfield all his life. The blue plaque is located at Dukinfield Town Hall.
If you know an interesting fact about Dukinfield please Send a Message to the Webmaster