A to Z of services          A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P R S T U V W Y Z

The Electoral Register

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get my name on the Electoral Register?

It is possible to add your name to the register of electors at any time throughout the year. Add your name to the register of electors.

Why should I register?

  • If you do not register then you cannot exercise your democratic right to vote in any election.
  • It is much harder to obtain credit if you are not on the Register.
  • The council can take legal proceedings against householders who fail to return their registration form

How can I view the register?

The full Register for the whole of Tameside can be viewed at the Council Offices in Ashton-under-Lyne and Ashton Central Library.

Each Customer Service Centre and Library has copies of that part of the Register relating to that particular part of the Borough.

How can I buy the register?

The Edited Register leaves out the names and addresses of people who have asked for them to be excluded from that version of the Register. The Edited Register can be bought by anyone who asks for a copy and they can use it for any purpose.

You can order a copy of the register and pay on-line with a credit/debit card. Alternatively you can pay by cheque (made payable to "Tameside MBC" and sent to Council Offices, Wellington Road, Ashton-under-Lyne, OL6 6DL, for the attention of Democratic Services), or by cash at Ashton Cash Office.

What if I am not on the published register?

All you need to do is register by using this link https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Unless your name appears on the published register you will not be entitled to vote at elections. You may also be denied credit as most credit reference agencies use the electoral register for proof of residency.

Who is eligible to vote?

  • You have to be eighteen years or over.
  • All British, Commonwealth, Irish and other European Union citizens.
  • Overseas electors
  • Members of HM Forces and their spouses
  • Crown servants employed outside the United Kingdom
  • European citizens are allowed to vote in European and Local Elections only
  • Overseas Electors are allowed to vote in Parliamentary and European Elections only.

What if there are people registered at my address who don’t live there?

The law requires all electors to remain registered from the address they are currently registered until they are removed at the household canvass carried out each autumn or they register from their new address.

Contact Information
Send us a Message Send us a Message
Contact by Post

Tameside MBC
Council Offices
Wellington Road
Ashton under Lyne
Contact by Telephone
0161 342 3036
Contact by Fax
0161 342 2187
Page last updated: 8 July 2014