Environmental Protection issues such as noise and air pollution are dealt with by the Public Protection Unit of Environmental Services. Please use the links on the left of the screen for more information on the services listed below.
If you would like to inform the Public Protection Unit of any issues regarding pollution you can complete the online form
- Industrial Air Pollution: We authorise and inspect certain types of industrial premises in relation to air pollution emissions. View information on prescribed industrial processes and application forms. Alternatively, view a list of current premises.
- Noise Nuisance Complaints: We investigate a wide range of noise complaints. Examples include loud music and noisy dogs from neighbouring property and noise from pubs, clubs and factories. We also deal with increasing numbers of complaints about noise from the prolonged ringing of burglar alarms.
- General Pollution Complaints: We investigate problems of smells, dust and other emissions from all types of premises and smoke from chimneys or bonfires. Tameside is a smoke control area. For more information on smoke control area, please see http://smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk/index.php
- Air Quality Management: We monitor air pollution at a number of sites in the Borough. Results can be viewed here.
- Asbestos: We provide advice to residents on enquiries regarding potential asbestos within the home.
- Contaminated Land: The Environmental Protection Unit deal with a wide range of issues including environmental searches, development control (planning and building control), the contaminated land regime, reports of contamination, etc. View more information on contaminated land.
- Consultation: We also receive consultations from other parts of the Council on planning applications and entertainment licences.
If you would like to request any services please use the service request button above. Alternatively you may contact the call centre on 0161 342 8355.