Hyde Photographic History
The Baths in Union Street were opened on May 4th 1889
They were designed by the Town Hall architect, J.W. Beaumont, but the North Cheshire Herald commented at their opening that they were "not perhaps so handsome externally as could have been desired".
The building contained six slipper baths, a laundry, a men's plunge bath, a smaller ladies plunge bath, thirty-eight dressing boxes and a gallery capable of holding several hundred spectators.
The success of the baths was reflected in the number of champion swimmers produced by the town and in the Hyde Seals Water Polo Team, three times world champions (1904-1906).