Tameside has twinning links with towns in France, Germany and China.
- A formal economic twinning link between Tameside MBC and Bengbu Municipal People's Government in Anhui Province, People's Republic China was forged in the early 1990s. The link has since grown to include agreements on educational and environmental co-operation.
- Ashton-under-Lyne is twinned with Chaumont, a town situated north of Dijon on the River Marne. 1996 saw the 40th anniversary of twinning activity between the two towns.
- Dukinfield has a longstanding relationship with Champagnole, a town south of Besancon, close to the Swiss border
- Denton has been linked since 1991 with Montigny-le-Bretonneux which is a vibrant new town located to the south-west of Paris.
- Droylsden enjoys links with Villemomble, a town east of Paris.
- Mossley regularly has exchange visits with its twin town of Hem, in the north of France, near Lille.
- Stalybridge celebrated 40 years of twinning with Armentieres during 1995. Armentieres is a town near Lille in the Pas de Calais region of France. The main square in Stalybridge is named after its twin town.
- Longdendale has longstanding links with Ruppichteroth. This German town is located in the Rhine valley between Cologne and Bonn.