Trading Standards and Consumer Services Section
To safeguard the consumer and business interests by effectively and efficiently promoting a fair, safe, equitable and healthy trading environment for the benefit of the community.
Outline of Service Provision
Trading Standards is a local authority service contributing to the well-being of the local business community through its enforcement activities and advisory services. The way in which it complements the aims and objectives of the local authority is unique, by ensuring that the trading environment in which business operates is fair & even and by further contributing to the economic regeneration for the areas that it services. This is carried out through planned programmed inspections, sampling and responding to enquiries.
The list of statutory duties under the many Acts of Parliament and associated Statutory Instruments that it enforces - is too numerous to mention but they generally fall into four broad categories. These are - Weights and Measures, Food, Safety and Fair Trading.
The service aims to improve compliance with Trading Standards legislation and create confident and demanding consumers.
In order to meet its objectives the Section aims:-
- To inspect, enforce and monitor metrological controls on weighing and measuring equipment, goods and services.
- To inspect and sample to ensure that food complies with standards of safety, composition, labelling and description.
- To inspect and sample to ensure that a wide range of consumer goods comply with safety standards.
- To monitor the pricing of goods and services to ensure the price indication is not misleading.
- To inspect, examine and test goods and services to make sure they conform to their description.
- To ensure customers are not misled when buying goods and services or fall foul of fraudulent trade practices.
- To supervise Consumer Credit licensing and monitor/inspect all those involved in credit lending including advertising and other claims.
- To investigate criminal complaints about goods and services.
- To work in partnership with other agencies such as Greater Manchester Police, Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue, HMRC, Public Health and NHS.
- To carry out test purchasing to ensure that all legislation is complied with.
- To maintain the Council’s Buy with Confidence scheme and ensure business compliance with the Terms and Conditions.
Visit www.tradingstandards.uk to view full information on up to date Trading Standards Information and News. If you need further advice please contact the Citizens Advice Bureau on 03454 040506 or visit their website https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk
The Government website provides a free legislative information and guidance for businesses and can be found on www.businesscompanion.info.