Most vehicle crime is opportunistic and therefore preventable. By following some straightforward advice, and working together, we can ensure that this type of crime keeps falling.
There has been some success in reducing vehicle crime - in recent years vehicle crime in the UK has been steadily falling.
Keep it Hidden
If a car park attendant, Patroller or Police Community Support Officer sees a car in a public place with anything left on view, the vehicle's owner is sent a letter and leaflet offering advice on how to outsmart the criminal. It's best never to leave anything on view in your car, but if you have to, lock it in the boot where it is out of sight.
For more information, see the Crime Reduction website
Help us Crack Car Crime
Help to make sure you're not affected by following these simple safety tips:
- Register your valuables on http://www.immobilise.com/
- With satellite navigation equipment becoming more popular with motorists, it is also becoming more popular with criminals. Where it's portable keep it safe by taking it, together with the support cradle and suction pads, with you when you leave the car.
- And remember to wipe away any suction pad marks left on the windscreen or dashboard as thieves will look out for these. Don't leave the equipment in the glove compartment – thieves will usually check there first
- Mark your satellite navigation equipment system with your postcode and house number or your vehicle registration number or another unique number, using special security markers
- Making a note of the make, model and serial number of the equipment and keeping the note somewhere safe - not in the car. Consider recording this information on one of the commercially available asset registers
- Don't leave anything on view in your car. Thieves are opportunists and it only takes them moments to break into your car
- Lock all doors and windows, not forgetting the sunroof, when leaving your car even if you only leave for a few seconds
- Never leave the keys in the ignition when the car is unattended, even while you're paying for petrol
- If you have a garage, keep your car in it and remember to lock both the car and the garage
- If you have to park on the street, get into the habit of retracting the car aerial and folding in the wing mirrors to reduce the chances of damage
- A quarter of all recorded crime happens in car parks, so look for one that is well supervised with restricted entry and exit points, good lighting and security cameras. Avoid dark corners
- Make your car identifiable have your registration number etched on all the glass surfaces
- Consider leaving your glove box open to show that it is empty
- Theft of number plates is an increasing trend - Stolen plates are often used in crime - Consider having your plates secured with anti tamper screws.
Every year the Crime and Disorder Reduction Partnership conduct partnership operations such as Snowstorm which are about reducing theft from and theft of motor vehicles and involves high visibility patrols around hot spot locations throughout Tameside. The operations involve various partners such as Greater Manchester Fire Service, the Patrollers Service, New Charter Housing Trust and other agencies who, with officers from Greater Manchester Police, hand out crime prevention material and advice to people coming out of the electrical retailers to raise awareness of how to take care of the goods that they have just purchased.
With the introduction of Simple 2 Start processes in 2011 (See burglary section for further information) We will continue to target areas that are suffering higher levels of vehicle crime in the Borough.
It is important to remember that most of these crimes are opportunistic and therefore preventable. By following some straightforward advice, and working together, we can ensure that these types of crime keep falling.
Community Safety Team 0161 342 3051/3052/4420
Crime Reduction Advisers 0161 856 9371/9372
Greater Manchester Police 0161 872 5050
Tameside North Neighbourhood Policing Team - Covering Ashton Hurst, Ashton St Michael's, Ashton Waterloo and St Peter's - 0161 856 9350/ email@example.com
Tameside East Neighbourhood Policing Team - Covering Dukinfield, Dukinfield Stalybridge, Mossley, Stalybridge North and Stalybridge South - 0161 856 9511/ firstname.lastname@example.org
Tameside South Neighbourhood Policing Team - Covering Hyde Godley, Hyde Newton, Hyde Werneth, Longdendale and Hattersley - 0161 856 9484/ email@example.com
Tameside West Neighbourhood Policing Team - Covering Audenshaw, Denton North East, Denton South, Denton West, Droylsden East and Droylsden West - 0161 856 9390/ firstname.lastname@example.org
Help Us to help You by helping Yourself
(Source of above Information: Home Office web site)