Accessibility Statement
Chat icon Chat with us live

Life Events

For up to date business information regarding Coronavirus please visit:


Starting Your Own Business


Useful Help and Advice to Anyone Thinking of Starting a New Business in Tameside


Thinking of Starting a Business?

The Council is committed to providing a wide range of services to local businesses and the community at large. The Council's Economic Development Unit plays a key role in encouraging investment in the Borough. The Unit is also working to increase the quality and variety of work skills offered to Tameside residents, helping them to make the most of new employment and training opportunities as they are created.

Tameside Business Family welcome to business

Live, Work, Invest is a group of local businesses, large and small, working with the Council and the Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce, to make access to business support services easier and more approachable.

If you are thinking of starting a Business or Social Enterprise, Live, Work, Invest Link to External Website is here to help you succeed. We provide free business support for new and existing businesses and Social Enterprises in Tameside.

We offer:

  • Free Business awareness advice
  • Free Help in creating a business plan
  • Free Marketing advice and PR ideas
  • Free Access to finding assistance
  • Free Premises and location searches
  • Free Ongoing support and mentoring
  • Free Networking groups: share ideas
  • Free Local regeneration updates
  • Free Employment and recruitment advice
  • Free Business seminars and workshops
  • Free Mini website on to External Website

If you are considering starting a social enterprise, community business or Co-operative, advice is available from the Council's Social Enterprise Project Team.


Tameside Libraries Information Service

Looking for somewhere to research the business you are thinking of starting, find tips on writing your business plan or access a PC with an office package. Then why not visit the Tameside Libraries Information Service, Ashton Library, Market Place, Ashton-under-Lyne, Tameside. OL6 6BH.

More information about the Tameside Libraries Business Information Service.

Where can I find business opportunities within the borough?


There are around 600 businesses in the UK that are franchised but what is franchising and would it be suitable for you?

It's a way of setting up in business for yourself but not on your own. With a franchise you run the business, but using methods that have been already tried and tested by another company, called the franchisor.

It is a way of being your own boss without many of the risk factors. However, you are ultimately answerable to the franchisor and this approach may not be for some people.

There are a large number of websites that deal with selling franchises a small number are listed below:


Image of someone signing a documentJobcentre Plus

Jobcentre Plus Link to External Website can give you general advice about how your benefits will be affected if you start to do any work for yourself, and the in work support available.

Business Plan

Wherever you are going for financial help writing a Business Plan is essential but it is not as difficult as it may sound - it is simply a way of putting your ideas on paper.

More information on writing a Business Plan.

Are there any courses that I may find useful?

The Tameside Business Family runs business support workshops and seminars.

You may also find this page useful:

Tameside College of Technology runs courses that cover many of the skills you may need when starting a new business. For more details visit the website at Link to External Website

Other organisations that offer business start-up courses:

What taxes will I have to pay?

HM Revenue and Customs have put information on their website especially for people starting up their own business. Visit the website at Link to External Website

Where can I get property advice?

For details of privately owned business properties (including industrial, office retail, land and development opportunities) currently available in the Tameside area, please contact the Economic Development Unit on 0161 342 2865/2167 or Send Us a Message or search the details directly at:

Tameside Business Property Search

The Council has a selection of properties and land for sale in addition to shops and industrial units to let.

Do I need planning permission?

Planning holds a balance between the need for new development and the need to protect the environment and tries to ensure all development is environmentally sustainable. Construction methods also need to comply with the Building Regulations for which there is a separate set of approvals.

There are also separate approvals governing the display of outdoor advertisements, developments affecting Listed Buildings and the demolition of unlisted buildings in Conservation areas.

Working from home

You do not usually need planning permission just to work from home but sometimes you do. However there may be other implications concerning your mortgage or tenancy requirements, and concerning National Insurance or taxation. The best option is to seek advice initially from the Tameside Business Family Support Team

Generally, the key test is whether the residence has changed because of the business. If the answer to any of the following questions is "yes", then you will probably need planning permission:

  • Is your house no longer chiefly a private residence?
  • Will your business result in a marked rise in traffic, people calling or working around the house or in out buildings?
  • Will your business involve obvious activities not usual in a residential street?
  • Will your business disturb your neighbours because of noise or smells?

Basically you need to ask yourself if the house is still mainly a home or has it become business premises? This is whatever the business, including using a room as an office, hairdressing, repairing cars, storing goods, using part of the house as a bedsit, running a "bed and breakfast", providing childminding or music teaching.

Do I Need a Licence?

Many businesses require a licence eg. hairdressers, pet shops and places of public entertainment. More information can be obtained from the Licensing Section.

What standards do I need to abide by?

Trading Standards and Consumer Services Section is a strategic Local Authority service contributing to the well-being of the local and business community through its enforcement activities and advisory services. More information about the work of trading standards, including access to fact sheets that may be relevant to your business, and advice on weights and measures.

The Trading Standards division will give talks to any business, consumer group, school or any other organisation on the work carried out by the Trading Standards service in the following areas:

  • Weights and measures
  • Food labelling
  • Product and toy safety
  • Home safety
  • Your rights when shopping
  • Credit, borrowing and lending
  • General work of the Trading Standards division

Other subject areas that are not listed can be arranged on request. To request a talk from trading standards fill in the online trading standards request form

Will I need to pay business rates?

Image of a calculatorThe value of all property in respect of which rates are payable to the Council are shown in the local ratings list. This list is available from the Valuation Office Agency Link to External Website.

More information on business rates.

Where can I get rid of trade waste?

The Trade Waste Service is available to all commercial and industrial premises in the Borough.

The Council also carries out commercial pest control work for local businesses.

How do I recruit staff?

The Council is committed to attracting new jobs to the area and works in partnership with other agencies to ensure residents benefit from employment opportunities created within the Borough.

More information about training and employment.

Your local job centre will advise you on recruiting staff and will advertise positions in the local centres free of charge. For more information, advice and to find your local job centre look at the GOV.UK recruitment and hiring page Link to External Website.

You can also contact the local employment agencies to help recruit permanent or temporary staff although there will be a charge for this.

You can also advertise in the local press.

Contact Information
Contact by Post

Investment and Development
Tame Street Depot
Tame Street
SK15 1ST