Accessibility Toolbar Accessibility Statement
A-Z

Places of Interest - Ashton-under-Lyne

 

 

Museum of the Manchesters

Based in Ashton Town Hall, the Museum embraces the long and colourful history of the 63rd and 96th Regiments of Foot, formed in the 18th Century, who became the Manchester Regiment in 1881. It then follows the Regiment's history during its 200 years of service until amalgamation with the King's Regiment (Liverpool) in 1958 to form today's King's Regiment, which has the honour and privilege of the Freedom of the Metropolitan Borough of Tameside.
 

Portland Basin Museum

Photograph of Portland Basin MuseumIn the attractive, waterside setting of Portland Basin, the newly refurbished Heritage Centre celebrates the people, events and industries which have shaped the history of Tameside over the past 200 years. Exciting displays, interactive computers, hands-on exhibits, a period street scene, and working models combine to provide an informative and enjoyable day out, while at the same time telling the fascinating story of how people lived and worked in the past, and of the area's major industries and manufacturers. Other displays tell of Tameside's political history; of the Chartist Movement and of major social reformers such as Joseph Rayner Stephens, Ada Summers and Hannah Mitchell.

 

Hartshead Pike

This was the third tower to be built in the area. The first tower was rebuilt in 1758, but developed a huge crack which led to its collapse in 1820. The present building was put up to commemorate the marriage of the Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) in 1863. It was paid for by public subscriptions. The Tower stands at nearly 300 metres above sea level and is famous for its views of four counties. The Pike at one time probably served as a beacon hill to warn of the approach of the Spanish Armada.
 

Ashton Parish Church (St Michaels and All Angels)

Photograph of St Michaels ChurchThis magnificent church is mentioned in the Doomsday Book. The 15th century stained glass is unrivalled in the region and it is a Grade 1 Listed building. The tower gives excellent views of the area. Parish registers dating back to 1594 enable people to trace their family trees.