Accessibility Statement
Chat icon Chat with us live

Ashton Market Hall

Ashton received a Royal Charter to hold a market in 1413 though some authorities believe an earlier charter was granted in 1284. The original market was held near the Old Cross, close to St. Michael's parish church, but was moved to the present site in 1828. The first market hall was demolished and replaced by the present building in 1867, it was enlarged and extended in 1880 and 1930.

However the actual blue plaques were lost in the fire of 2004, the photograph of the plaque below was on the side wall.

Ashton Market Ground and Market Hall Ashton Market blue plaque

Contact Information
Contact by Post

Tourist Information
Tameside MBC
Dukinfield Town Hall
King Street
Dukinfield
Tameside
SK16 4LA
Contact by Telephone
0161 343 4343
Contact by Fax
0161 342 2822