A Tribute to

James Kirk VC

1897 - 1918
Photo Of Victoria Cross

The supreme contempt of danger and magnificent self-sacrifice displayed by this gallant officer prevented many casualties'

James Kirk died tragically young and is the only one of the Tameside VC's to have been awarded the medal posthumously. His death came shortly before the end of the First World War.

Photo of James Kirk VCKirk was born in Cheadle Hulme and educated in the town, and later in Stockport. On moving to Edge Lane, Droylsden he continued his education at the North Road United Methodist School at Clayton. He is remembered as being a keen and successful sportsman.

His first employment was as a clerk for Ogden and Madeley's Warehouse in Manchester but following the onset of war he enlisted in the 2/6th Battalion of the Manchester Regiment and joined the 1/6th Battalion in the Dardanelles in 1915.

Whilst in Gallipoli he suffered severe frostbite resulting in hospitalisation in Cairo throughout November and December 1915. Whilst there he joined the newly formed Camel Transport Corp as an acting Quartermaster-Sergeant and served with them for a year until rejoining the 1/6th Battalion on their move to France in January 1917.

In June 1918 he was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant and returned to France on 8th October to join 2nd Battalion Manchester Regiment. For his bravery four weeks later he was awarded the Victoria Cross. The citation reads:

Blue Plaque for James Kirk, VC'For most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty North of Ors, France, on 4 November 1918, whilst attempting to bridge the Oise Canal with wooden floats linked together. To cover the bridging of the canal Lieutenant Kirk took a Lewis Gun, and under intense machine-gun fire, paddled across the canal on a raft, and at a range of ten yards expended all his ammunition. Further ammunition was paddled across to him and he continuously maintained covering fire for the bridging party from a most exposed position until he was instantaneously wounded in the face and arm, then killed at his gun by a machine-gun bullet to the head.

The supreme contempt of danger and magnificent self-sacrifice displayed by this gallant officer prevented many casualties and enabled two platoons to cross the bridge before it was destroyed.'

The war poet Wilfred Owen whose work features in the Museum of the Manchesters in Ashton died alongside Kirk. They were buried at the English Communal Cemetery at Ors.

Seven days after Kirk's death was Armistice Day - the end of the war. It should have been a day of rejoicing in Droylsden but people were saddened as news of the death of their local soldier reached them. A letter from Kirk's Commanding Officer to James Kirk Senior sent consolation and a tribute :

'His action was that of a true British soldier and will remain long in the memory of all who saw it.'