Application for Conservation Area Consent

Special controls apply to buildings in Conservation Areas. It is an offence to demolish, alter or extend a building in Conservation Areas without the appropriate consent. If the building is not listed then planning permission is required for all work and certain permitted development rights may have been removed.

Conservation Area Consent however, is required for the demolition, or part demolition, of an unlisted building within a conservation area. This provision seeks to preserve and enhance the character of the Borough's conservation areas by retaining buildings which make a positive contribution to the area. These controls relate to any 'building' that is situated within a conservation area as well as some gates, fences, walls and railings.

It is recommended that you contact the Council if you want clarification as to whether consent is required or if you wish to discuss your proposal before submission.

The Forms

You will need to provide four sets of completed and signed forms together with fours sets of supporting plans and documents. No fees are payable for this type of application. Download the application form Link to External Website Conservation area consent for demolition Guidance Notes Link to External Website Adobe Acrobat Format 

If you choose to use an agent, any communications about the application and the decision notice will be sent to him or her.

Please note:

Conservation Area Consent is quite separate from Planning Permission or Building Regulations Approval, which may be required in addition.

Previous or Concurrent Planning Applications

If other proposed works require planning permission, you need to state whether you have already applied or are applying for consent and give the application number. However, please note that the granting of planning permission does not automatically guarantee the granting of this consent.

Grant Aided Buildings

Please tell us if any grant aid has been made available to assist any works in connection with this application. However, again please do not assume that the offer of any grant aid in any way guarantees consent.

Certificate of Ownership

When you are making an application it is essential you tell us who owns the property so read the notes attached to the form and fill in the Certificates attached.

If the application site forms part of an agricultural holding, or you do not know the name of some or all of the owners, please discuss the matter with a Planning Officer who can advise you of what needs to be done in these circumstances.

Sources of Information

Planning Policy Guidance Note 15 "Planning and the Historic Environment", published by the Department of Transport, Local Government offers helpful advice.

Please ensure that you have:

  1. Answered all relevant questions.
  2. Signed the forms.
  3. Enclosed a site location plan and supporting information.
  4. Included four sets of drawings (metric scale).
  5. Attached a completed Section II (Ownership) Certificate.

The following documents need to be submitted:

Location plan. To a scale of 1:1250 or 1:2500 with the application site edged red and any other land or buildings owned by the applicant edged blue. Private individuals making applications relating to their own properties can obtain Ordnance Survey extracts from the Council at a reasonable charge.

Block Plan. To a scale of 1:200 or 1:500 showing the siting of the building in relation to its site boundaries.

Survey drawing. To a scale no smaller than 1:200 showing the listed building before the proposed works. This should comprise floor plans, sections and elevations, where appropriate. Where any feature is affected (e.g. a window is to be altered) these should be shown at not less than 1:50 scale.

Photographs if possible. These are particularly helpful in assessing the effect of a proposal. Colour photocopies are a convenient and economical way to include photographs in your application.

A justification statement. In a Conservation Area the onus is on safeguarding the future of buildings. This statement should therefore explain why the proposed works are desirable or necessary and assist in understanding the reason for your application and increase its chance of approval. Remember that others, including local and national amenity societies are often consulted on your application and a justification statement will help them to reach a considered view.

Trees in Conservation Areas

Trees in Conservation Areas are treated in the same way as if they were protected by a Tree Preservation Order so it is necessary to obtain approval for works to trees in Conservation Areas before they are carried out.

There are certain exceptions (where a tree is dead or in a dangerous condition) but it is advisable to seek the opinion of the tree service to see if your works are acceptable. Notifying the Council also will save time if a neighbour contacts them to tell them about what you are doing.