Accessibility Statement
Chat icon Chat with us live

How to Appeal

Up to 30 November 1993, everyone had the opportunity to challenge their property band.  From 1 December 1993 onwards the grounds for appeal have been limited to the following:

  • Where you believe that the banding should be changed because of an increase or reduction in the value of the property due to building work being carried out on the dwelling, i.e. demolition, extensions or converting the property from houses to flats;
  • Where you start or stop using part of your dwelling to carry out a business, or the balance between domestic and business use changes;
  • Where the listing officer has altered a list without a proposal having been made by a taxpayer;
  • Physical changes in the locality affecting value; or within 6 months of the following:-
    • a band change to your property made by the listing officer;
    • a band change made to a similar property to yours made by the court;
    • becoming a new taxpayer;

Reductions or increases in value resulting from the general state of the housing market do not affect the banding of your property.

Your appeal should be sent to the The Listings Officer, Council Tax North, Valuation Office Agency, King William House, Market Place, Hull, HU1 1RT.

You may also appeal if you consider that you are not liable to pay council tax, for example because you are not the owner or because the property is exempt; or that your billing authority has made a mistake in calculating your bill. If you wish to appeal on these grounds you must first notify Tameside MBC in writing so that we have the opportunity to reconsider the case. Please write to Tameside Council Tax, PO 304 Ashton-Under-Lyne, Tameside, OL6 0GA or email

Making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of council tax owing in the meantime. If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to refund of any overpaid council tax.