Accessibility Statement
Chat icon Chat with us live

Council Tax Energy Bill Rebate

The Chancellor announced on 3 February 2022 that government support will be available to reduce energy bills for households in Council Tax bands A to D with a rebate payment of £150.00.  
A discretionary scheme is to operate for households who do not qualify for an automatic payment.
Your Council Tax band is shown on your Council Tax bill. Alternatively, you can check your band by entering your postcode on the website.
The Council Tax Energy Bill Rebate is a one-off fixed payment of £150 which the council will pay on behalf of the government.
A maximum of one payment will be made per eligible property which meets all of the government criteria, even if more than one person is named on the Council Tax bill or lives in the property.

Who is eligible?

Council Tax band A to D

The person named on the Council Tax account who meets all the following criteria at 1 April 2022:
  • Their home is valued in Council Tax bands A to D. This includes property that is valued in band E but has an alternative valuation band of band D as a result of a disabled band reduction;
  • It is the Council Tax payer’s sole or main residence;
  • It is a chargeable dwelling, or is in one of the following exempt households:
    • property occupied only by students
    • property occupied by only by people under 18 years of age
    • property occupied only by people who are severely mentally impaired
    • self-contained annexes occupied by elderly or disabled relatives

Discretionary Scheme

There will be a discretionary scheme in place for households such as those in Council Tax bands E and above to provide support to people not automatically entitled to a £150 energy rebate payment.  Eligibility criteria for this discretionary scheme has not yet been finalised. Details will be made available as soon as possible on this webpage.

Who is not eligible?

No energy rebate will be paid in respect of:
  • A property that has no permanent resident and is someone’s second home
  • An unoccupied property (for the purposes of calculating Council Tax)
  • Where the Council Tax payer is exempt from paying Council Tax for any reason other than one of the four exemptions as detailed above
  • Where the person who is liable to pay the Council Tax (or would be were the property not exempt) is a local authority, a corporate body or other body such as a housing association, the government or governmental body.

How are payments made?

If you pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit:
We will pay into your bank account and notify you when this has been sent to you.
Please note that the Council will recover any monies paid where information becomes available which may affect entitlement.
To ensure payments are being made to the correct bank accounts the Council will use a third party to verify the information they hold.

If you don’t pay by Direct Debit:
If you don’t pay by Direct Debit, don’t worry an application form will be made available in May for you to apply for the Council Tax Energy Bill Rebate and we will write to you to let you know when the application is available. We will update the information on this page as soon as we know when this can be achieved and ask for your patience whilst this work is being carried out.
In submitting an application, you must confirm that you have read, understood and consented to your data being processed in this way for the purposes of assessing your eligibility for a Council Tax Energy Bill Rebate payment.

To ensure payments are being made to the correct bank accounts ID checks will be undertaken for anyone not paying by Direct Debit and  the Council will use a third party  to verify the necessary information.

Overdrawn bank accounts

If you are overdrawn you can exercise the first right of appropriation on the Council Tax Energy Bill Rebate payment. You can tell your bank the payment should only be used as financial support to pay your energy bills. This protection is called a first right of appropriation of funds order.

 You need to contact your bank making it clear that a deposit may be due of £150, which is for financial support for rising energy bills. You will need to advise your bank with that you are exercising your first right of appropriation of these funds.  

Tameside Council Exchequer Services privacy notice:

Click here for some Frequently Asked Questions

Tameside Council will make all payments as early as possible.

Related Items