A-Z

Facts About Droylsden

A comprehensive selection of historical photographs can be found at www.tameside.gov.uk/history.


  • Droylsden was once a large township, including Big and Little Droylsden and Clayton. In 1889 Little Droylsden became subsumed into Openshaw, and the following year, Clayton passed from Droylsden's control to that of Manchester. This left Big Droylsden, which also included Fairfield, Edge Lane, Greenside and the Castle!

  • Daisy Nook, which is on the boundary of Droylsden, Ashton, and Failsworth, was originally a small hamlet of weavers and farmers, and was known as "Waterhouses". The name became Daisy Nook when the dialect writer Ben Brierley wrote his poem "A Day Out". It described an outing to Daisy Nook on the eve of the day the Fall of Sebastopol was announced in 1855!

  • Daisy Nook fair is still an annual treat at Eastertime. However, in April 1946 a record crowd was present on Good Friday, at the first Easter fair since the war. White objects in the river caused a great deal of interest, it later established that they were in fact the remains of concrete road blocks to stop tanks crossing!

  • The Concord Suite, in the centre of Droylsden, was built in the early 1970's to house Droylsden Council. The word "Concord" comes from the town's motto "Concordia", meaning harmony!

  • W.M. Christy and Sons Ltd, Fairfield Mills, Manchester Road, Droylsden. The success of Christy's came from William's son, Henry, bringing back a looped towel from Turkey in the 1840s. In 1851, the first machine woven towel in the world, the Terry towel, was produced at Droylsden on an adapted loom. The Royal Turkish towels became famous and Christy's were the biggest producers in the world. Queen Victoria had a regular order. Sadly, the mill closed at the end of the 1980's, and in 1997 Tesco opened a supermarket on the site.

  • Robertsons Jam Works (Golden Shred) was established in 1891, and was set up on the banks of the canal on Ashton Hill Lane. They once employed 1,000 people, but due to new technology, this number is now reduced to around 400. The company produce jams, marmalades, Christmas puddings, fruit drinks, canned fruit fillings, and exports world-wide, and is still a very thriving business. And, of course, they are famous for the Golly symbol, which was introduced in 1910 and became very collectable. The story is that a Robertson grandchild had a rag doll with a happy face and so began the idea of the famous logo!

  • The plaque to Charles Hindley, MP and social reformer is at the Fairfield Moravian Settlement in Droylsden.

  • James Kirk died tragically young and is the only one of the Tameside VC's to have been awarded the medal posthumously. The blue plaque is located at 530 Edge Lane, Droylsden

  • A Blue Plaque at Fairfield High School for Girls celebrates the life of Mary Moffat. It was unveiled in July 1998 by Councillor George Hatton JP.

  • A plaque affixed to Droylsden Library was unveiled on March 22nd 1995 by the Mayor of Tameside, Councillor Pat Haslam, to remember the life of Harry Pollitt.

  • Arthur Herbert Procter did not become associated with Tameside until after his glorious military career. He was born in Bootle and educated at Port Sunlight and Exeter. His blue plaque is located at St Mary's Church, Droylsden (and St Stephen's Church, Hyde).

If you know an interesting fact about Droylsden please Send Electronic Message Send a Message to the Webmaster.

Related Items