Accessibility Toolbar Accessibility Statement
A-Z

Places Of Interest - Dukinfield

photograph of Dukinfield Town HallDukinfield Town Hall

Dukinfield Town Hall was built in Domestic Gothic Style. It was opened on 15th June 1901 by Alderman James Pickup, and cost £15,000 to erect from plans by J. Eaton and Sons of Ashton.

The clock is by JR Joyce of Whitchurch, and the five bells were cast by Taylor and Co of Loughborough.  Nowadays the town hall doubles as the borough register office and as a leisure centre.

Old Chapel, Dukinfield

photograph of the Old Chapel, DukinfieldThe first Old Chapel was started in 1707 and rebuilt in the mid-19th century, this is an early example of the adoption of a Gothic style for a nonconformist chapel.  Behind it, there are several interesting graves, including the Astley memorial.

The vertical design makes this building a notable landmark which dominates the skyline when viewed from Ashton.

The Chapel is a Grade II* listed building.

At the other side of Old Chapel is the Astley Arms where a dinner was held for Ensign Andrew Moyhihan V.C. on his return from the Crimea, and a blue plaque attests to the fact.

archive photograph of the Old Hall Chapel, DukinfieldOld Hall Chapel

Old Hall Chapel is a Grade II* listed building but is now sadly in ruins. The Chapel claims to have been the first Independent church in England, in the 17th century. Built in the reign of Henry VII (1485 - 1509), it was extended in the 19th century to become a congregational church, and set alight by arsonists in 1978.