Accessibility Statement
Chat icon Chat with us live

Guide to Licensing of Children for Performances, Sporting Activities and Modelling


Licence application

The rules governing Children in Entertainment covers children who take part in 'performances', including all broadcast performances, child photography or modelling. Any child engaged in these occupations must have a licence issued by the Local Authority.

Application for a licence must be signed by the parents and accompanied by a photograph. The Local Authority must be satisfied that arrangements for the supervision and protection of the child are adequate, and that the disruption to the child's education is kept to a minimum.

The legislation which demands this licensing is as follows: Children (Performances and Activities) (England) Regulations 2014. 

Key issues covered by the regulations are:

  • Is the child/young person below minimum school leaving age?
  • Do they reside in Tameside?
  • Is there a charge made for admission?
  • Is it within licensed premises?
  • Is it broadcast on TV?
  • Is it intended for filming?
  • Is the child/young person fit to take part?
  • Education; consultation with Headteacher if in school time
  • Is the activity safe?

No licence is required under the following circumstances:

  • No payment made to child and they have not taken part in performances in the previous 6 months on more than 3 days
  • No payment made to child and performance arranged by school
  • No payment made to child and performance exempted by Secretary of State e.g. Scout Gang Shows.

How to Contact us

Contact Information
Contact by Post

Education Welfare Service
Tameside Council
PO Box 317
Contact by Telephone
0161 342 2112