Accessibility Statement
Chat icon Chat with us live

Managing your Money

Mental Health Support Button  Money Management Button  Help with housing button  Employment and work skills  Help with the essentials button

Debt and Benefit Advice Services

Tameside Council’s Debt Advice Service offers free, independent, confidential advice and assistance with debt problems to people with rent or mortgage arrears. They also offer a twice weekly webchat service where advice is available on all debt matters.
Our Debt Advice Webpage  provides the contact information you will need to contact this specialist service.
☎ 0161 342 3494 between 9-4 Monday to Friday
🌐 Webchat 2pm-4pm on Tuesday and Thursday. The web-chat facility can be accessed by clicking on the pink web-chat box on the web page and selecting ‘Debt Advice’.
☎ 0800 074 9985 (9:30am-12pm, Mon-Wed)
Or Email
Citizens Advice also offer help on how to work out the best way to tackle your debt.
Citizen’s Advice on Freephone 0808 278 7805 (9am 1pm, Monday to Friday).
🌐 Online chat function on (9am-5pm, Mon-Fri)
For advice on who to contact if you are in financial difficulty please visit
Advice Tameside also provide an interactive maps to search for places near to you where you can get advice, training and use computer equipment
The National Debt Line allows you to talk to an adviser via web chat or by phone (visit their website for opening times).
StepChange are a charity who can help you with debt problems and take back control of your finances. 
PayPlan offer free advice and free debt management.
Money Saving Expert
For help and support with gambling problems please contact:
Gamblers Anonymous  
Are you entitled to additional benefits?
If you’re struggling financially you might be entitled to benefits to support you.
Check your eligibility in 10-minutes here
For FAQ’s on benefits click here
Advice Tameside also provides information on universal credit, applying for Council Tax Support and free school meals.
United Utilities Bill Support
United Utilities can support you with your water bill, you can find out here how to contact them about lowering your bills, help with paying your water debts, flexible payments and payment breaks.
Council Tax Support
The Council Tax Support Scheme provides financial assistance to Council Tax Charge payers on a low income whether they rent or own their home, or live rent-free, by reducing the amount of Council Tax they have to pay.
Find out more
Pension Top Up
In Tameside, £5.2 million worth of pension credit remains unclaimed, this is a staggering 3,042 household missing out on support.
Find out if you’re one of them at or call 0800 319 6789
You can also visit for more information on how to claim pension credit or how to report a change in circumstances. 
Citizens Advice for Pension Advice
You can also find help and support with your pension via Citizens Advice.
Citizen’s Advice on 0808 278 7805  (9am 1pm, Monday to Friday).
🌐 Online chat function on (9am-5pm, Mon-Fri)
For advice on types of pensions, starting a pensions and advice for nearing retirement please visit
Age UK
Age UK also provide support for any older person who is worried about money and/ or who may be entitled to claim benefits.
Contact Age UK by calling their national advice line free of charge on 0800 169 65 65 (8am-7pm), visiting or contacting your local Age UK for free information and advice.

Are you entitled to grant support?
GrantFinder is a tool capable of searching 4,000 grants, loans and awards available for application. Search by location, funding type and sector to find relevant sources of funding. Grantfinder is available at Ashton Library - please ask at the counter or contact via web chat or on 0161 342 2031.
For more info on GrantFinder and other ways to search for grant available to you please visit
For grants to support you with energy efficiency visit
Turn2Us offer FAQ’s on grant support here and a search for grant support here
Household Support Fund
The Household Support fund will help support households with essential costs such as energy and water, food and other essentials linked to energy and water. Applications can also request sanitary products, warm clothing, blankets and essential household equipment.
Drop in support will be available on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9am-12.30pm, Level 1 of Tameside One, Ashton-Under-Lyne, OL6 0GS. Starting Tuesday 12. Anyone wanting information or help with the application can attend. Those who attend a drop in for support are asked to bring a bank statement from the last three months.
For more information regarding eligibility, to apply and for help with applications please visit
The scheme is a limited, fixed fund available until 30 September 2022, or when funds are exhausted.  
Managing your Money
For advice on managing money please visit:
Christians against Poverty (CAP)
Money Helper
Are you paying too much for your broadband, TV or phone?
Ofcom provide advice on how you can check your tariffs to make sure you’re not over paying, please visit for further information.
Support with Traveling Costs
To find out more about help with local transport travel cost please click here
Ring and Ride door-to-door transport for people who find it very difficult or impossible to get to a bus stop or get on or off ordinary buses.
If you are disabled, you could be eligible for a pass that gives you free and low-cost travel in Greater Manchester and the rest of England under the English National Concessionary Travel Scheme. Find out more here.
For more information on how to get about Tameside by public transport, information on travel passes, travel information for older and disabled persons and other useful organisations please click here.