A-Z
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Facts About Hyde

A comprehensive selection of historical photographs can be found at www.tameside.gov.uk/history.


  • Hyde Chapel was the first church to be erected in 1708. Previously, worshippers had to cross the River Tame to Denton or walk to Stockport. At this time Hyde consisted of a few scattered farms and a cluster of ten houses on Red Pump Street (now known as Market Street)!

  • The Hare and Hounds pub on Werneth Low is the oldest licensed premises in the district. Records show that there was an inn here in 1794. It was once a farmhouse situated on the old Roman Road from Melandra, near Glossop, to Stockport. Between 1838 and 1850 horse racing was practised here. Walter Mansfield managed the inn from 1929 to 1983. When he took residence it was derelict; no water, electricity, or sanitation. Later Walter installed his own generator. His motto was "less talking, more drinking". During the 1960's and 1970's the hunt used to gather here on Boxing Day!

  • Captain Clarke's Bridge spans the Peak Forest Canal in Hyde and was originally named Wood End Canal Bridge. It is said that the bridge was built to divert the horse traffic to the other side of the canal in order that the Hyde Clarke family would not be troubled by the barges!

  • In 1815, twin boys were born to Mrs Smith who lived in Rock Street, Gee Cross. They were named Robin and Jam. All their life they went everywhere together. When they walked down the street one would walk behind the other treading in the footsteps of the first. They both dressed alike, no-one was sure which was which! After their brother and sisters left home and their parents died, they went to live in a cellar under the end house in Stone Row on Mottram Old Road. Then they were known locally as "the Cellar People". Jam died in 1889 and his brother in 1890. The following year, Hyde Carnival held a competition for the two best representations of the original Robin and Jam, the Gee Cross Twins, with £1.00 being offered for the prize!

  • Thomas Ashton, mill-owner, was perhaps the most significant of the Ashton family of Hyde, who were involved in creating Hyde's cotton industry. He was responsible for founding one of the largest, and longest lived textile companies in Hyde, later known as Ashton Brothers. When he died in 1846, he left the business to his two surviving sons, Samuel and Thomas, along with the majority of his personal estate and property, which was worth just under £60,000. In 1854 Samuel and Thomas formed Ashton Brothers and Co out of their father's business, maintaining the business's position of one of the largest independent employers in the town until its sale in 1968.

  • Harry Rutherford (1903-1985) was an artist of national repute, whose work included not only Tameside scenes but also embraced the worlds of the theatre, cinema and television. Although his career often took Rutherford away from Tameside, he always returned to his northern roots and was a familiar figure in Hyde.

    It is hoped that in the future, an art gallery will be established in Hyde Town Hall, dedicated to Harry Rutherford, and displaying some of his paintings!

  • Among the more notable figures of the present day are national politicians such as Barbara Castle, who was born in Hyde, and the second longest ever serving Tameside MP Rt. Hon. Tom Pendry who has represented the Hyde and Stalybridge constituency since 1970 and has been re-elected six times.

  • Sited on the front of Hyde Town Hall, a blue plaque honours Joshua Bradley, born in a humble cottage in Further Lane, Hattersley.

  • A blue plaque in honour of the history of the Cotton Tree Public House in Newton, Hyde was unveiled by the Rt. Hon. Jack Cunningham on Saturday, 18th December 1999.

  • Arthur Herbert Procter did not become associated with Tameside until after his glorious military career. He was born in Bootle and educated at Port Sunlight and Exeter. His blue plaque is located at St Stephen's Church, Hyde.

  • The Hyde Lane Colliery was a prosperous business in the late 1800's, the proprietors of the pit were Mr J.W. Sidebotham M.P for the Hyde Division and his brother Mr J. Nasmyth Sidebotham. The blue plaque is located on the Canal Towpath, off Manchester Road in Hyde.

  • The blue plaque located on the former site of The Norfolk Arms, Hyde was unveiled in March 2001 in memory of those who died in "May's Downfall".

If you know an interesting fact about Hyde please Send Electronic Message Send a Message to the Webmaster.

Related Items