Accessibility Statement
Chat icon Chat with us live

Life Events


You're getting married!


Help and advice for you planning your special day

Congratulations on your engagement and forthcoming wedding. This page gathers together some of the information you may need to organise your Wedding Day. Planning an occasion as big as this can be stressful - we hope this helps to ease the burden!

The Ceremony

If you wish to marry in England or Wales, you may do so either by civil or religious ceremony.

A civil ceremony can take place in a Register Office or other building licensed for marriage ceremonies. The ceremony is conducted by a Registration Officer; it must be of a strictly none religious nature.

A religious ceremony can take place in a church, chapel or other building of religious worship which has been formally registered for marriage ceremonies. The service is conducted by the minister in accordance with the religious rites and ceremonies of the premises.

Register Office

The marriage room for Tameside Register Office is located at the Town Hall, King Street, Dukinfield. Opening hours are Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4.30pm.

The Register office ceremony is a simple but elegant ceremony.
Both parties will be interviewed together before the ceremony in order to check all the information to be entered into the marriage register is correct.
The room holds 15 guests and if you would like to view the room before deciding on the venue for your marriage, please contact the Register Office.

Alternately, you may marry at any other Register Office in England or Wales. Contact Tameside Register Office who will be happy to supply addresses/telephone numbers of other offices.

Please call 0161 342 5032 to arrange your marriage at Tameside Register Office

Housebound or detained persons may, under certain circumstances, request a home visit to give notice of their intent to marry. The parameters for this service are set by law, and the nature of the procedure is of such a sensitive nature, it should only be arranged by direct contact with Registrars staff.

Click the thumbnails below to see the bigger pictures of Dukinfield Town Hall, and the Register Office.

Dukinfield Town Hall Dukinfield Town Hall Interior Dukinfield Town Hall Register Office  


Approved Premises

Since 1 April 1995, the Marriage Act 1994 has allowed suitable privately owned premises to be licensed for marriage ceremonies, offering a vast choice of type, location and cost. You may marry at any approved premises in England or Wales.

View the current list of Approved Premises in Tameside.

For premises outside Tameside contact the Superintendent Registrar at the Register Office covering the district of the building(s).

To book a marriage at an Approved Premises, contact the proprietor of the building. You will also need to book a Registrar to conduct the ceremony. Fees for the attendance of the Superintendent Registrar and Registrar of Marriages are detailed on the Guidance to Applicants for Approval of Premises as Venues for Civil Marriages. The current fee is £332.26 for the Registrar to attend an Approved Premise. Upon booking a fee of £100 non refundable deposit is payable. (0.09MB)

Church of England or Church in Wales

If you wish to be married in either of the above you or your partner would generally have to live within the parish of the church, or be a regular worshipper. If the minister is able to marry you, he/she will arrange for the Banns to be called or for a Common Licence to be issued. The marriage will also be registered by the minister, and there is generally no need to involve the local Superintendent Registrar. If the Register Office needs to be contacted, the vicar will advise you.

You can search for Religious Buildings in Tameside using the Local Groups and Organisations Database.

Other Places of Religious Worship

The church or religious building in question must normally be located within the registration district where you or your partner live, or, if outside the district, be a place of regular worship for either or both of you. The service will be conducted by the Minister of the venue, but occasionally a Registrar is required to register the marriage.

To book a marriage at any of the above venues, contact the Minister of the Church, and the local Superintendent Registrar, where necessary.

The above information is a general guide only. For marriages outside England or Wales, or marriages of people with special needs or requirements, contact the Superintendent Registrar for advice.

The Reception

Tameside Council has a number of Town Halls and Community Buildings available for hire.

Planning the Big Day!

Image of wedding ringsWhen you are planning your big day there are quite a few things you need to arrange. Download a copy of our Wedding Day Checklist(0.02MB) to help you along with arranging everything you may need to think of for your big day!

To help you along your way we have complied a page of Useful Website Links.

The Legal Formalities

Unless you are marrying in the Church of England of Church in Wales by Banns or Common License, notice of marriage has to be given by each of you personally to your local Superintendent Registrar(s).

Both of you must have lived in a registration district in England or Wales for at least seven days immediately before giving notice at the register office. If you both live in the same district, you will each give notice at the same office. If you live in different registration districts, you will each give notice separately in your own area.

A notice of marriage is valid for twelve months. You may therefore not give notice of marriage to the Superintendent Registrar more than twelve months before the date of your wedding.

A notice of marriage is valid only for the venue named on the notice. Whereas it may be possible to alter the date of your marriage (provided it is before the expiry date), a change of location would require a fresh notice and fee.

After giving notice you must wait 28 days before the marriage can take place.

Both authorities must have been issued on or before the day of the marriage.

Please see the guidance document as a useful introduction to the basics of giving notice, and of places where marriage can take place. A section of the leaflet addresses the subject of religious ceremonies taking place in buildings not registered for marriages under the Marriage Act 1949.

Marriage Certificates

The marriage will be authorised by Superintendent Registrars Certificate. We can supply copy marriage certificates for marriages that occurred in Tameside.

Documents Required by Law

When you attend to make formal arrangements, you will need to produce certain documents to confirm your name, age, marital status and nationality.

Mandatory Documents:

  • A current valid full passport or if unavailable
  • A full birth certificate (containing parents details). If you were born after 1 January 1983 a copy of your mothers full birth certificate is also required. Also a form of photographic identification, e.g. photo driving licence.
  • You must also supply a document to show your address in Tameside. One of the following is acceptable: Utility bill dated within 3 months, bank statement dated within 1 month, your most recent Council Tax bill or a valid UK driving licence.
  • If you have been widowed, the death certificate of your spouse.
  • If you are divorced, a decree absolute bearing the courts original stamp. (If you were divorced outside the U.K., contact the Register Office for advice.A document or documents, confirming divorce, annulment or dissolution outside the UK. (Please note: as of 1 November 2017 we are legally required to take a fee for all divorces / dissolutions that took place outside of the British Isles. The fee is for the consideration of the document and does not guarantee that the document will be approved. Some divorces / dissolutions will be approved at your notice appointment and the fee for this is £50.00. However, in a lot of cases the documentation will need to be considered by the General Register Office and the fee for this is £75.00. Unfortunately we are unable to determine which fee will be payable until you provide the documentation at your appointment.)
  • Any documents relating to a change of name.
  • A completed parental consent form is you are under 18.


You will each be charged a fee of £35.00 when you give notice, payable by cash, card or cheque.


  • A marriage at the Register Office will be £57.00 payable at the time of booking. This fee is non refundable. (0.09MB)
  • A marriage at approved premises will incur a fee to the proprietors of the premises, and a fee for the attendance of the Registration Officers.
  • A marriage at a Place of Religious Worship will incur a fee to the Minister of the Building (variable); in addition, if a Registrar is required to register the marriage, a fee of £84.00 is payable on the day.
  • A marriage at a Church of England or Church in Wales does not generally involve the Register Office; enquiries regarding fees must be directed to the Minister of the church.

All fees are subject to annual review.

Approved premise marriages/civil partnerships

The current fee is £322.60  for the Registrar to attend an Approved Premise. A non-refundable deposit of £100 is required at the time of booking. (0.09MB)

Changing Your Name and/or Address

If you are a resident of Tameside you can use the on-line name or address change form to notify us of a change of name and/or address. In some circumstances you may wish to consider changing your name by Deed Poll. For more information please visit Deed Poll Office Link to External Website. We will circulate the details around the council to ensure you only need tell us once. Download the Name Change Checklist(0.02MB) to see who else needs to be informed.

Another thing to remember:

If you have been living on your own and claiming Single Person Discount on Council Tax, and are now going to be living with your spouse, then please ensure you notify us - Tameside residents can do so at the end of the change of name/address form.

Image of marriage register, flowers and penSearching the Marriage Indexes

You can search through the marriage Indexes online by visiting Link to External Website

If you find an entry you are interested in, it is possible to order a marriage certificate, which is a copy of the full entry from the original register.

For more information regarding ceremonies and fees please contact:

Postal Address Tameside Register Office, Town Hall, King Street, Dukinfield SK16 4LA

Telephone Number 0161 342 5032 

Send Electronic Message Send Tameside Registrars a Message