Accessibility Toolbar Accessibility Statement
A-Z

Museum of the Manchester Regiment 

History 

Home Guard

Brigadier F G R Brittoreous inspecting members of the Manchester Regiment Home Guard 1942-3c. (MRP/7/A)Administered by the Lancashire County Territorial Force Association.

Manchester Regiment badged Home Guard Battalions were the:

23rd Lancashire (Oldham) Battalion,
25th Lancashire (Leigh) Battalion,
26th Lancashire (Wigan) Battalion,
44th Lancashire (Stretford) Battalion,
45th Lancashire (Ford Motors Trafford Park) Battalion,
46th (South Manchester Renold Chains),
47th (Wythenshawe),
48th (Manchester/Ardwick),
49th (A V Roe, Newton Heath),
50th (Ancoats),
51st (Ashton under Lyne),
56th (Manchester/Post Office),
58th (Manchester/Post Office).
59th (Manchester/Post Office),
61st (Manchester University)
63rd (A V Roe Chadderton).

In addition there were five Home Guard Rocket Batteries badged Manchester Regiment.

Some Home Guard battalions originated in 1952 and were ‘still going strong’ in 1955 when they were placed on a reserve basis, namely 1st, 5th, 10th, 11th, 12th and 15th East Lancashire Battalions respectively in Wigan, Oldham, Cheetham, Ardwick, Withington and Stretford. All officially affiliated to and badged Manchester Regiment. This was the time of the Civil Defence movement, a consequence of the threat of nuclear war