Accessibility Statement
Chat icon Chat with us live

Frederick Wellington Lloyd

63rd Regiment & Queen’s Bodyguard

Frederick Wellington Lloyd was born in the parish of Ballybut, County Tipperary, Ireland around July 1843. He enlisted as a Private in the 63rd Regiment of Foot on 9 July 1864 in Toronto, Canada, having passed his medical seven days earlier. The 63rd Foot had been posted to Canada in 1861 during the American Civil War when the UK came within Frederick Wellington Lloydmeasurable distance of being involved in hostilities with the Federal Government.

At the time of his enlistment Frederick Lloyd was 5 feet 11 ¼ inches tall (extremely tall for the time), he gave his religion as Church of England and stated that he was a clerk. It is very likely that, being Church of England, being born in Ireland, being in Canada and having the middle name Wellington, he was the son of a soldier.

On 11 July at 11.00 am. Frederick Lloyd swore his oath of allegiance in front of the Justice, Mr N. Hickey, enlisted for 10 years and was given the number 868. Within days Pte. Lloyd moved to Hamilton where the 63rd was stationed and had a second medical on 15 July so that his appointment was finally confirmed by Lt. Col. Carter on 18 July 1864.

On 18 September Pte. Lloyd and the regiment moved to Montreal where they occupied the Victoria Barracks. Pte. Lloyd soon adopted the habits of many soldiers of the time because on 15 December 1864 he was admitted to the regimental hospital suffering from gonorrhoea. He was treated with balsamic and discharged 23 days later.

In June 1865 the regiment moved to Point Lewis on a new line of fortification but on 1 August Pte. Lloyd and the regiment embarked for England on HM Troopship Himalaya, arriving at Portsmouth on 12 August and moving on to Aldershot two days later. Pte. Lloyd soon reverted to his old ways and in March 1866 he spent another ten days in hospital with gonorrhoea.

On 11 September 1866 the regiment moved to Scotland with Pte. Lloyd and two companies being quartered in Paisley. The change did not suit Pte. Lloyd as on 18 November he was admitted to hospital with diarrhoea and remained there for ten days.

On 20 May 1867 Pte. Lloyd moved to Glasgow where on 2 July he was promoted to Corporal and nine days later he was awarded his first good conduct pay of a penny a day. On 20 August the regiment was sent by rail to Greenock there embarking for Dublin where it took up quarters two days later.

Over the next eighteen months Corp. Lloyd was stationed in Curragh, Cork and Fermoy where he was promoted to Sergeant on 11 March 1869. He then spent five months at the Hythe School of Musketry between May and September 1869 before being posted to Kinsale on 22 October 1869 and back to Cork on 21 June 1870 where he was awarded 2d/day good conduct pay on 11 July. It was in Cork at St Luke’s church on 20 July 1870 that Sgt. Lloyd married Mary Jane Shore(1).

Sgt. Lloyd was given 12 days of furlough in August before he and the regiment, but not his wife, embarked on HM Troopship Serapis sailing for India on 7 October 1870. Alexandria was reached on 21 October where the 63rd disembarked, crossed the Isthmus of Suez by rail during the night, embarking the next day on HM Troopship Euphrates. Bombay was reached on 7 November and on 9 November the regiment left by rail for Deolali and then on to Jubbulpore, Allahabad and Dinapore to Barakar before marching to Hazara Bagh where it arrived on 9 December 1870.

On 22 July 1871 Sgt. Lloyd re-engaged to serve for 21 years with the colours and in December Mary Jane Lloyd joined her husband in India, as Col. Sgt. Lloyd appears on the married roll from 24 December 1871. He was appointed Colour Sergeant on 17 January 1872.

On 31 August 1873 Col. Sgt. Lloyd was admitted to hospital with ‘ague’ caused by the climate but after treatment with quinine he was discharged five days later. On 4 November the regiment left Hazara Bagh to attend exercises but due to the impending famine in Bengal the regiment moved on “in ordinary relief” and Col. Sgt. Lloyd was sent with three companies to the fortress at Gwalior which was reached on 20 January 1874.

Col. Sgt. Lloyd moved to the regimental headquarters at Jhansi in July 1874 but on 15 July he was admitted to hospital suffering from sunstroke. He was discharged after four days and then moved back to Fortress Gwalior before returning to Jhansi on 18 February 1875 where his first child, Robert Ormsby, was born on 18 March 1875(2). Col. Sgt. Lloyd returned to Fortress Gwalior on 21 November 1875.

Col. Sgt. Lloyd was imprisoned on 23 February 1876. Eight days later on 3 March he was tried by court martial for ‘neglect of duty’ and sentenced to ‘reduction’. However his past career must have served him well as his sentenced was remitted and he was immediately reappointed as Colour Sergeant although 1d of his good conduct pay was cancelled with effect from 23 February, the date of the offence.

In November 1876 Col. Sgt. Lloyd and the regiment regrouped and marched, via Agra and Muttra, to Delhi to take part in the assemblage for the proclamation of HM Queen Victoria as Empress of India. Delhi was reached on 20 December in good time for the ceremonies which came to an end during the first week in January 1877.

On 10 January 1877 the regiment left for Mean Meer which was reached two days later. Here the regiment remained for almost two years although Col. Sgt Lloyd spent three months at Fort Lahore in early 1877 and ten months at Dalhousie in 1878. Back at Mean Meer the regiment, like many others, suffered from fever (Col. Sgt. Lloyd being in hospital for twelve days with ‘ague’ in November 1877) and all ranks rejoiced when on 16 November 1878 the regiment moved to Umballa. Col. Sgt Lloyd was stationed at Solon between April and August 1879. On 22 February 1880 the Lloyd’s second child, Frederick William, was born at Umballa.

The 63rd Foot played no part in the first phase of the Afghan war in 1878-1879. Even after the campaign resumed following the massacre of the British Embassy in Kabul in September 1879, Col. Sgt Lloyd and the regiment remained at Umballa. Only following receipt of the news of the disaster at Maiwand and the subsequent threat to Kandahar did the 63rd receive orders to proceed to Quetta to join General Phayre’s Kandahar Field Force. The regiment was assembled at Quetta by the end of August 1880 and whilst four companies left there on 26 August and marched towards Kandahar, arriving just after General Roberts had inflicted a complete defeat on the enemy army of Ayub Khan outside the walls of Kandahar on 1 September, the rest of the regiment, including Col. Sgt Lloyd, were put on convoy escort duties until they joined their comrades in Kandahar on 14 October.

The war in Afghanistan was now at an end and several regiments which had been longest in the field marched to India but the 63rd remained in Kandahar for the winter. For some unknown reason Frederick Lloyd resigned as Colour Sergeant on 13 November 1880 and was appointed Sergeant. On 23 April 1881 the regiment furnished the City Gate Guard as Kandahar was evacuated by the British. The next day the regiment, the last British regiment remaining in Kandahar, started its march back to Quetta which was reached on 5 May 1881.

On 21 July 1881 the 63rd Foot was awarded the battle honour ‘Afghanistan 1879-80’ and soon afterwards it was announced that in future the regiment was to be known as the 1st Battalion Manchester Regiment.

On 29 July, on account of the unsettled state of affairs in Afghanistan due to the activities of Ayub Khan, headquarters and four companies, including Sgt. Lloyd, were ordered back to the Khojak position on the border of Afghanistan, which was reached on 4 August. However in September Ayub Khan was defeated at Kandahar by the Amir and thus on 15 October instructions were received for the battalion to return to India. Four companies, including Sgt Lloyd were stationed at Sialkot from 17th December 1881. On 25 February 1882, Sgt. Lloyd was presented with his Afghanistan Medal without clasp whilst on regimental parade.

Whilst in Sialkot, Sgt. Lloyd, three other sergeants and two lieutenants posed for a photograph with the battalion’s colours for Lt. Mein (See page 52 of ‘On Service in India – The Mein family Photographs 1870-1902’ – published 2000). The battalion’s time in India was coming to a close and on 23 May 1882 it was notified that it would proceed home during the summer. The battalion left Sialkot on 12 August 1882, reaching Bombay on 22 August and embarked immediately on the hired transport India. On the way back to England the battalion was diverted to take part in the campaign in Egypt against Arabi Pasha but Sgt Lloyd did not travel with the rest of the battalion. He remained with a few others at Sialkot for a few more weeks possibly to close off any unfinished business of the battalion and possibly because his wife was heavily pregnant. She gave birth to their third child, Harold, on 3 September 1882. Hence Sgt. Lloyd took no part in the Egyptian Campaign and was therefore not entitled to the Egypt 1882 medal or Khedive’s Star.

Sgt Lloyd, his wife and three children embarked from Bombay on 7 November 1882, reached Portsmouth on 5 December and rejoined the battalion in Warley later that month. On 1 January 1883 Sgt. Lloyd was awarded his Long Service & Good Conduct medal.Medals of Frank Wellington Lloyd

As a result of the civil unrest in early 1883, the battalion and Sgt. Lloyd were garrisoned in The Tower of London from 27 March 1883 before returning to Warley on 11 August 1883. It was here on 2 September that the Lloyd’s fourth child, John Francis, was born. On 9 November Sgt. Lloyd was admitted to hospital with tonsillitis but was discharged four days later. Sgt. Lloyd and the battalion were again garrisoned at The Tower of London from 18 April 1884 before transferring to Shorncliffe Camp on 28 August. On 1 December Sgt. Lloyd was again promoted to Colour Sergeant. Following a move to Aldershot on 15 October 1886 the Lloyd’s fifth child, Mabel, was born on 22 March 1887.

On 4 April 1888 the battalion left Aldershot by train for Portsmouth and embarked on HMS Assistance bound for Ireland. After disembarking at Queenstown on 9 April, the battalion moved by train to Tipperary. Here on 5 September 1888 the Lloyd’s sixth child, Valentine, was born. On 6 April 1889 Sgt. Lloyd moved to Clonmel where his seventh child, Girhace, was born on 4 April 1890. Sgt. Lloyd returned to Tipperary on 5 July 1890 and it was here on 12 December 1890 that he was discharged from the army. On discharge his habits were described as ‘temperate’ and his conduct as ‘very good’. After 26 years and 155 days serving ‘The Colours’, of which eight days of service were forfeited from his pension due to that misdemeanour in 1876, it is probable that Sgt. Lloyd never fired a shot in anger.

On leaving the army Frederick Lloyd moved to London and is shown as living at 7, Hadyn Park Road, Shepherd’s Bush in the 1891 census with his wife and five of his children. He gave his occupation as Port Commissionaire.

In 1892 Frederick Lloyd was accepted as a member of ‘The Queen’s Bodyguard of the Yeomen of the Guard’ having satisfied the entrance criteria that candidates must have completed no less than 22 years in the army or marines; retired on a rank of no less than Sergeant; hold the Long Service and Good Conduct Medal; be at least 5’ 10’’ tall; have a chest measurement of at least 38’’ and have accepted and taken the loyal oath before their 55th birthday.

In 1893 on the occasion of the wedding of Prince George, the Duke of York and Princess Mary of Teck, all the members of The Bodyguard had their photographs taken and mounted in a large leather album as a wedding present for the future King George V. In 1897 Frederick Lloyd must have taken part in Queen Victoria’s silver jubilee celebrations as he was awarded the Jubilee Medal in bronze and again in 1902, following the coronation of Edward VII, he was awarded the Coronation Medal in bronze. Frederick Lloyd died on 15 May 1906 at the age of 63.

My sincere thanks to Paul Denny, archivist of ‘The Queen’s Bodyguard’ for the information he gave me on FW Lloyd and for the magnificent photograph of him in The Bodyguard uniform.
WO97/3303 – Soldiers’ Attestation Papers.
WO12/7295-7307 & WO16/1761, 1886-1892 – Muster Rolls 63rd Regiment.
WO12/2617 – Muster Rolls 8th Regiment.
Census 1891 & 1901.
On Service in India, The Mein Family Photographs 1870-1901. Peter Duckers. Tempus Publishing 2000
History of the Manchester Regiment (Late the 63rd and 96th Foot) – Col. H C Wylly
1) Jane Shore was the widow of Sgt. H A Shore of the 8th Foot who died in Malta on 18th March 1867.
2) Details of children taken from statement of service on discharge. Quarterly pay lists note other children who do not always tally with the statement of service. This is probably due to infant mortality and older children returning to the UK or joining the army.

This article was written by Mr Bob Barltrop and appeared in the December 2011 edition of the Journal of the Orders and Medals Research Society. It is reproduced here by kind permission of the author and the society.