Accessibility Toolbar Accessibility Statement

Financial Help for Parents and Carers

Child Benefit

You get Child Benefit if you’re responsible for a child under 16 (or under 20 if they stay in approved education or training).

Only one person can get Child Benefit for a child.

You must report any change of circumstances to the Child Benefit Office.

 You may have to pay a tax charge if your or your partner’s individual income is over £50,000.

You can choose not to get Child Benefit payments, but you should still fill in the claim form because:

  • it will help you get National Insurance credits which count towards your State Pension
  • it will ensure your child is registered to get a National Insurance number when they are 16 years old

For more information visit Link to External Website or telephone: 0300 200 3100

Working Tax Credit

You could get Working Tax Credit if:

  • you’re aged from 16 to 24 and have a child or a qualifying disability
  • you’re 25 or over, with or without children

You must:

  • work a certain number of hours a week
  • get paid for the work you do (or expect to)
  • have an income below a certain level

The basic amount of Working Tax Credit is up to £1,940 a year - you could get more (or less) depending on your circumstances and income.

You can apply for Working Tax Credit even if you don’t have children or you’re on leave or about to start a new job.

For more information visit Link to External Website

Working Tax Credits contact number: 0345 300 3900

Child Tax Credit

You could get Child Tax Credit for each child you’re responsible for if they’re:

  • under 16
  • under 20 and in approved education or training

You don’t need to be working to claim Child Tax Credit.

You get money for each child that qualifies and Child Tax Credit won’t affect your Child Benefit.

 How much you get depends on your circumstances - you can use the tax credit calculator to work this out.

 Only one household can get Child Tax Credit for a child.

For more information visit Link to External Website

Child Tax Credits contact number: 0345 300 3900

Free Entitlement to Nursery Education

The government funds all local authorities to ensure that a free part time early education place is available to all families who have three and four year old children. Children are eligible for the funding the term after the child’s third birthday. To qualify for the autumn, spring or summer term the child must be three before the 1st September, 1st January or 1st April respectively.

For more information visit or contact Tameside Families Information Service on 0161 342 4260 for further details.

Employer Supported Childcare Vouchers

Employers can support their employees with childcare in a number of ways: for example through childcare voucher schemes, workplace provisions or direct childcare subsidies. New income tax and National Insurance Contribution exemptions on the first £55 a week used towards registered or approved childcare which means both employers and employees make savings.

For more information ask your employer, or go on line at Link to External Website or contact Tameside Families Information Service for further information on 0161 342 4260.

Care to Learn

The Care to Learn scheme can help with childcare costs while you study.

 You must be aged under 20 at the start of your course.

The scheme is available for publicly-funded courses in England. This includes courses in:

  • schools
  • 6th forms in schools
  • 6th form colleges

If you qualify:

You’ll get a letter and a payment plan telling you what financial help you can get.

Your childcare provider will also get the payment plan, to let them know when they’ll be paid.

If you’re eligible for travel costs, your learning provider will be told about payments for this.

For further information about Care to Learn visit Link to External Website or telephone 0845 600 2809 or 0800 121 8989.

Sure Start Maternity Grant

Sure Start Maternity Grants are one-off payments to help with the cost of things for a new baby. The payment comes from the social fund and you do not have to pay the money back. You can apply if you or your partner is receiving Income Support, Income-based Job Seekers Allowance or Working Tax Credit. Depending on your individual circumstances, you will be entitled to claim around £500.

To claim you need to complete a form (SF100 sure start). You can pick one up from your local Jobcentre Plus office.

For more information on maternity and paternity rights and pay see working families fact sheets available on: Link to External Website or telephone: 0800 013 0313.

Healthy Start Vouchers

With Healthy Start, you can get free vouchers every four weeks which you swap for milk, fresh fruit, fresh vegetables and infant formula milk. You can also get free vitamins.

You qualify for vouchers if you are pregnant or have a child under 4 years and you and your family get income support, or income based Jobseekers Allowance, or Child Tax Credit (but not Working Tax Credit) and have a family income of below £ 14,155 or do not work more than 16 hours per week, or if you’re pregnant and under 18 years.

For more information telephone 0845 607 6823 or visit Link to External Website

Other sources of information

See ‘info for parents’ at Link to External Website or call Daycare Trust, Tel: 020 7840 3350

Help with benefits

Jobcentre Plus: Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance etc.

For your local office you can look in the phone book, contact the Families Information Service on: 0161 342 4260.

For people with disabilities and their carers

Contact the benefits enquiry helpline on 0800 882 200 or contact your Local Citizens Advice Bureau, you can look in the phone book or visit Link to External Website

Tameside Carers Centre’s aim is to provide those who look after someone in Tameside with information, advice, support and advocacy – further information can be found on the Tameside Council link:

For further Information

For further information contact Tameside Families Information Service on the details below:

Tameside's Services Information Directory for Children, Young People and Families provides information on a range of national and local organisations, together with their contact details and how to access them.

Contact Information
Contact by Post

Family Information Service (FIS)
St Peter’s Children Centre
Trafalgar Square
Contact by Telephone
0161 342 4260
Related Items
Customer Services Live Web Chat
Customer Services Live Web Chat