Accessibility Toolbar Accessibility Statement
A-Z
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Godley Hill


Godley Hill War MemorialSite

Turn up Godley Hill Road from Mottram Road and the memorial is on the right-hand side, cheek-by-jowl with the large industrial complex belonging to food manufacturer Kerry Foods.

Originally, the monument was in what the press of the time described as "a handsome park." Nowadays, it is a little dilapidated and stands almost forgotten among a few trees - all that remains of the park.

Description

The monument, a small obelisk made of granite, is in the centre of a circular flower bed, and the area is surrounded by a low wall. Access is through small metal gates, both of which bear the date 1953 (possibly because they were placed there for the Coronation of Elizabeth II). In front of the memorial, on the flower bed, is a cube-shaped white receptacle for holding flowers bearing the words "In memory of the fallen of Godley Hill"

Front

"Erected in honour and deep gratitude to the men who fought for liberty and freedom in the great world war 1914-1919."

Beneath is written "Unveiled by Daniel Adamson of Longlands, July 17th, 1920.”

Right

"Fallen” Lt Daniel Adamson, Pte Alec Bowker, Gunner William Brookes, Pte Tom Eddings, Sgt John Purssglove, 1914-1919.

1939-1945: Pte Eric Ballaens, Pilot Officer Harry N Davies DFC, Flight Engineer Sergeant Harold Jackson, Pte Ernest Miller, Pte Joseph Miller.

Back

Sgt Ernest Beal, Sgt Alfred Barton, Pte David Bardsley, Pte William Bullough, Cpl George Gibson, Sgt RP Hutchin, Driver William Hughes, Pte Fred Howarth, Driver William Knowles, Pte William Kirkham, Lt Ernest Lee, Pte William Smalley, Pte James Taylor, Pte Ernest Wilkinson, Pte Thomas Wilkinson, Pte Harold Widdowson, Pte Walter Walker.

Left

Lt George R Adamson, Pte Sidney Beal, Pte Harry Critchlow, Pte Frank Critchlow, Cpl George Coombes, Sapper Vere Foster, Pte Edward Hewitt, Driver William Jackson, Pte Herbert Jones, Pte Arthur Jones, Sgt J William Oldham, Pte Frank Oldham, Pte Herbert A Price, Gunner John Swann, Pte Edward Smith, Gunner J William Turner, Pte Arthur Fernley.

History

Mr GH Turner, chairman of the memorial committee, presided at the unveiling ceremony on 17 July, 1920.

A parade led by members of the Audenshaw St Stephen’s Church Lads’ Brigade led a parade featuring many ex-servicemen which set off from near-by Godley railway viaduct better known as Godley Arches.

After the singing of "O God Our Help in Ages Past” prayers were led by the Rev FH Coveney of St John’s Church, Godley. Members of Hyde Choral Society then sang "Into the Silent Land”.

Daniel Adamson then unveiled the memorial. He made a short speech noting that £130 had been raised. More singing followed, and the ceremony concluded with the Last Post.

The 1939-45 panel was unveiled on June 5, 1949, by Mr EJ Cobbett who had attended the 1920 ceremony. The panel was dedicated by the vicar of St John’s, Godley, the Rev Sam May.

Minimise webchat tab
Customer Services Live Web Chat
Customer Services Live Web Chat