Accessibility Toolbar Accessibility Statement
A-Z
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

St Peter's Church War Memorial


Site:

In the grounds of St Peter's church, which stands between Stockport Road and Oldham Road. The memorial is on the side nearest to Ashton town centre.

Description:

Officially, a cross, but better described as a stump. Made of Portland stone, it is 9ft high, cost £150, and bears 150 names around the base, although these have virtually worn away now.

The inscription reads: Erected by the parishioners in memory of those who were killed in the Great War 1914 - 1919. Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life foe his friends.

History:

The unveiling ceremony took place on July 4, 1920, and began with a service in the church, which was led by the vicar, the Rev. T.W. Pughe Morgan, with help from the Rev. W.A. Parry of St James church, and the Rev. T. Dillow, Rector of Droylsden.

The service began with the hymn For All the Saints, and continued with prayers and the quartette God So Loved the world. Mr Dillow gave the sermon and the congregation then left the church.

Mr Morgan read out the names inscribed on the foot of the memorial, and the unveiling was performed by the Rev. H.G. Prescott, vicar of St James church, Woolfold, who was curate at St Peter's during the war.

After Mr Prescott gave the address, there was a speech by the mayor of Ashton (George Henry Coop), and dedicatory prayers led by the rural dean, the Rev. J.C. Holden.

There was another hymn God Of Our Fathers Known of Old and a party from Ashton barracks fired three volleys. Members of the Church Lads' Brigade sounded the Last Post, and proceedings closed with the National Anthem.

Minimise webchat tab
Customer Services Live Web Chat
Customer Services Live Web Chat