Complaints, Compliments and Comments
Tameside Council is committed to delivering the highest possible quality and level of service to the people.
The Council intends to provide services through best practice and in line with public needs. We shall continually seek improvements.
We welcome your complaints which may help to improve the services we offer, please log them on our online system.
If your complaint is concerning Adult Services or Services for Children and Young People, it will be dealt with under a separate procedure.
Anonymous complaints are accepted and will be investigated. However, it is better to provide contact details so that we can inform you of the outcome of our investigations.
Compliments are also welcome and can be logged using the same online system. Log the compliment in exactly the same way as you would do a complaint and we will identify it as a compliment internally.
The definition of a complaint
A complaint is...
"An expression of dissatisfaction about the council's action or lack of action or about the standard of a service, whether the action taken or the service was provided by the council itself or a body acting on behalf of the Council".
A complaint is not an initial request for service. Please use the Council website's A-to-Z to log directly with the relevant service.
- Endeavour to deal with your complaint within 5 working days where it is possible to do so or where it is of an urgent nature. Otherwise we will acknowledge your complaint within this time frame and provide a substance response within 20 workings days (stage 1 complaints) and 20 working days (stage 2 complaints).
- Seek to match your needs in service delivery and quality
- Continue to bring services nearer to local people through consultation in our District Assemblies
You can help us by:
- Reporting any dangerous building or structure that poses an immediate danger on 0161 342 2637 or 2638 during office hours or telephone 0161 342 2222 out of office hours.
- Logging initial requests for a service direct to the relevant service via the A-to-Z
- Informing us of any dissatisfaction you may have, with any of our services, and logging your Complaint directly onto our online system.
- Providing us with clear concise information of your complaint and daytime contact details.
- Telling us if you don't understand anything on this webpage
What happens when a complaint is received?
A Service Unit Manager or their delegate will endeavour to deal with your complaint within 5 working days where it is possible to do so or where it is of an urgent nature. Otherwise we will acknowledge your complaint within this time frame and provide a substance response within 20 workings days (stage 1 complaints) and 20 working days (stage 2 complaints). We will keep you regularly updated of progress until your complaint is fully resolved.
If you are still not happy:
If you are not happy with the time we took to respond, with the way we kept you informed, or with the manner in which you were dealt with you can progress your complaint to the next stage, which is known as a stage 2 complaint.
The Complaints Officer will arrange for the relevant Head of Service/Senior Manager to investigate your complaint. Your complaint will be responded to within 20 working days. Sometimes delays are unavoidable, but if we do need longer to resolve your complaint, we will explain the reasons for any delay and update you on progress at regular intervals until conclusion.
You can also discuss your complaint with your ward Councillor.
You may wish to seek advice from the Local Government Ombudsman who is not part of Tameside MBC. The Ombudsman can be contacted on 0845 602 1983 or at www.lgo.org.uk .
How to log a complaint
Use our online system to log your complaint and to track its progress
Tameside Council is committed to giving an equal service to all. This means we will not treat you any differently because of your:- sex, colour, race, nationality, ethnic group, regional or national origin, age, marital status, disability, political or religious belief, sexuality or class.