Accessibility Statement
Skip to main content
Chat icon Chat with us live

Applying for Housing

When you have been given a positive decision from the Home Office, you will need to plan and prepare for your future accommodation.  If you have your Biometric Residence Permit and your National Insurance Number and you have applied for welfare benefits or have secured employment, you should register with Housing Associations for long term housing.

A Housing association is not a private landlord but is in fact a not for profit organisation.

Housing associations offer similar types of housing as local councils – often to people on a low income or who need extra support.

You can apply:

  • Directly to a Housing Association
  • Often through your Local Council via the Housing Register

Once you apply and meet the criteria for that Housing Association, you’ll be put on a waiting list or will need to bid for properties each week.

Housing associations normally offer housing to people most suited to that particular property. You may have to wait a long time for a suitable property to become available.

Tameside Council does not own any council Houses.
List of Housing Associations
Jigsaw Homes
0161 331 2000
Ashton Pioneer Homes
0161 343 8128
Regenda Homes
0344 736 0066
Johnnie Johnson Housing
0345 305 5335
Private Renting
If you decide that you would prefer to rent a house from a private landlord or agent and you have never had a tenancy of this kind before, you should seek advice from Tameside Housing Advice or the LAASLO service who can help you determine whether the property is affordable to you and provide you with advice and guidance.