Accessibility Statement
Chat icon Chat with us live

Full Plans Submission

Application Guidance Notes

Download the Full Plans Submission Form (0.5MB)

  1. One copy of this notice should be completed and submitted with 2 copies of the plans and supporting information in accordance with the provisions of Building Regulation 14. Subject to certain exceptions where Part B (Fire Safety) imposes a requirement in relation to proposed building work, two further copies of plans, which demonstrate compliance with the requirements, should be deposited.

  2. Persons carrying out building work must give 2 days written notice prior to commencement.

  3. The applicant’s first name and surname must be included together with the correct postal code. The applicant is the person on whose behalf the work is being carried out, e.g. the building’s owner. In the case of other applicants e.g. commercial organisations please include the full details of the organisation and a relevant contact name.

  4. Ensure that the works description includes all works to be undertaken - it will be this description that will be listed on our completion certificate (if work is left off the description it can cause you problems if you ever try to sell your property). This must also include any ‘notifiable electrical works’ not being installed by a ‘Competent Person Scheme member electrician’
  5. Where the proposed work includes the erection of a new building or extension, this notice must be accompanied by the following:
    1. a block plan to a scale of not less than 1:1250 showing the size and the position of the building, or building as extended, and its relationship to adjoining boundaries and streets,
    2. the provision to be made for the drainage of the building or extension,
    3. Where it is proposed to erect the building or extension over a sewer or drain shown on the relative map of public sewers, the precautions to be taken in building over a sewer or drain.

  6. LABC Services provides National Type Approval for a range of building types, building systems and major building elements where they are used repeatedly. If the work proposed or any part of it is subject to a LANTAC approval please answer yes and enclose a copy of the appropriate current certificate(s). If there is any variation in this proposal from that shown on the LANTAC type approved plans attention should be drawn to it in a covering letter. Please phone if you require further information on LANTAC.

  7. Section 16 of the Building Act 1984 provides for the passing of plans subject to conditions. The conditions may specify modifications to the deposited plans and/or that further plans shall be deposited.

  8. Subject to certain exceptions a Full Plans Submission attracts charges payable by the person by whom or on whose behalf the work is to be carried out. Most charges are payable in two stages. The first charge must accompany the deposit of plans and the second charge is payable after the first site inspection of work in progress. This second charge is a single payment in respect of each individual building and covers all site visits and consultations that may be necessary until the work is satisfactorily completed.

  9. Where existing underground services e.g. gas, electricity, water, telecoms are affected by the proposals, the building owner or contractor must contact the relevant service provider to arrange for their diversion.

  10. Where you intend to connect your new drainage systems to the public sewers, or intend to discharge trade effluent to the sewers, you must give not less than 21 days written notice to the appropriate authority.

  11. These notes are for general guidance only; particulars regarding the deposit of plans are contained in regulation 14 of the Building Regulations 2010 and, in respect of charges, in the Building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations 2010. Certain building work that is solely required for disabled people may be exempt from charges, refer to note 9 below.

  12. The issue of a Building Regulation approval does not operate as an approval for the purpose of any other statutory provision e.g. Party Wall Act, Health & Safety at Work Act etc.

  13. Persons proposing to carry out building work or make a material change of use of a building are reminded that permission may be required under the Town and Country Planning Acts.

  14. Electrical Works

    Building Regulations ‘Part P – Electrical Safety in Dwellings’ apply to electrical works being undertaken to dwellings. All wiring and electrical works must be designed, installed, inspected and tested in accordance with the requirements of BS 7671, the IEE 17 th edition wiring guidance.

    Failure to comply with these regulations is an offence, and the Council can pursue a prosecution for a fine against any person contravening them and it is also likely that it will not be possible to sell your property.

    Full details of these regulations, including the definition of ‘notifiable works’ can be found in the Approved Document; Part P Electrical Works Guide Note 20 (0.27MB).

    Where ‘notifiable electrical work’ is to be carried out, you are required to either submit a Building Regulation application or to have the works undertaken by a competent electrical contractor registered with the governments ‘Part P Competent Persons Self-Certification Scheme’ (this should be your preferred option).

Competent Persons Self-Certification Scheme

Where you are using a Competent Persons Self-Certification Scheme member - you must answer yes to Question 7 and supply full details of their scheme membership (if known). You are advised to check your contractor out carefully to avoid problems occurring during the works stages. Your approved contractor will ensure that all electrical works comply with the Building Regulations - and therefore this element of work can be excluded from your Building Regulation application.

If you do not know who your Competent Persons Self-Certification Scheme member is at the time of submission and have answered yes to question 7 – please ensure that a scheme member is employed. If you change your mind after submitting your application and do not use a Competent Persons Scheme member, you must submit a separate Building Regulation application for the electrical works and pay an additional charge payment. (refer to the standard charges sheet available separately).

Your competent electrician will supply you and the Council (within 30 days) of the electrical works completion, a signed ‘Building Regulations Self-Certification Certificate’. If this certificate is not supplied it will leave you open to enforcement action and no completion certificates will be issued for the works. For your information the householder should also receive a completed BS7671 Electrical Installation Test Certificate - make sure this is requested and obtained.

Please be aware that checks will be made that a Competent Persons Self-Certification Scheme member has been used for the electrical works. Failure to do so will lead you open to enforcement action and no completion certificates will be issued for the works.

Building Regulation Application Route

Works carried out by electricians, who are not a member of a Competent Persons Self-Certification Scheme cannot “self-certify” their own work and must therefore submit a Building Regulation application.

You are required to submit with the application - full details of the electrical works to be undertaken, including where appropriate wiring diagrams, circuit protective devices and evidence of the existing systems suitability to be adapted and pay the additional charge payment relevant to the electrical works being undertaken (refer to the standard charges sheet available separately).

All wiring and electrical work must be designed, installed, inspected and tested by a *person qualified* to do so in accordance with the requirements of BS 7671, the IEE 17th edition wiring guidance and Building Regulation Part P (Electrical Safety). On completion of works a copy of installers Electrical Installation Test Certificate compliant with BS 7671 is to be provided to the client and Local Authority.


Prior to covering of all wiring / cables, the installation must be inspected by Building Control. This could include a second check and testing of the installation. Any defective work found will have to be corrected at the owner’s own expense.

*A person qualified* to do so - will have appropriate qualification, knowledge and experience relevant to the nature of the work undertaken and to the technical standards set down in BS7671, be fully versed in the inspection and testing procedures contained in the regulations and employ adequate calibrated testing equipment. Building Control will expect suitable evidence is provided of a person’s competency prior to accepting such persons BS7671 certificate – in the form of a competency evidence form refer to TMBC guidance note 20 (available separately).