Accessibility Statement
Chat icon Chat with us live

Marriages and Civil Partnerships

For marriages outside England or Wales, or marriages of people with special needs or requirements, contact the Superintendent Registrar for advice.


Tameside Register Office marriage/civil partnership

The room capacity is 15 in total, including: both parties who are to marry/form a civil partnership, two witnesses, ten seated guests, and a photographer. If you are not having a photographer, an additional guest may be invited. 

The ceremony fee is £57, which includes the cost of the certificate.

The available room is located at Dukinfield Town Hall.

For enquiries regarding available dates please call 0161 342 5032. 

You are required, by law, to give notice of marriage 28 days before your ceremony can take place at the Register office.
Dukinfield Town Hall Dukinfield Town Hall Interior Dukinfield Town Hall Register Office    


Tameside Approved Premises


View the list of approved premises in Tameside

View the list of approved premises in Tameside


For premises outside Tameside, contact the Register Office covering the district of the building(s).
To book a marriage at an Approved Premises, you must contact the proprietor of the building. You will also need to book a Registrar to conduct the ceremony – fees are detailed on the Guidance to Applicants for Approval of Premises as Venues for Civil MarriagesThe current fee is £342.50 plus the certificate cost of £11.00 Upon booking, a non-refundable deposit of £100 is payable.



Church of England or Church in Wales

To marry in either of the above, one or both parties generally must live in the church parish, or regularly attend the church. The minister will arrange for the Banns to be called or for a Common Licence to be issued. The marriage will also be registered by the minister. The minister will advise you if the Register Office needs to be contacted.
Search for Religious Buildings in Tameside

Search for Religious Buildings in Tameside



Other Places of Religious Worship

The religious building in question must normally be located within the registration district where you or your partner live, or, be a place of regular worship for either of you. The service will be conducted by the religious leader of the venue. Occasionally a Registrar is required to register the marriage.

To book a marriage, contact the religious leader of the house of worship, and the local Superintendent Registrar where necessary.

Statutory Notice of Marriage/Notice of Civil Partnership

You are required by law to give notice of marriage. You must attend the Register office in the district in which you reside in order to give notice.
  If you live in Tameside, please call 0161 342 5032 for an appointment.


A marriage notice is only valid for 12 months, and is only valid for the venue where the ceremony is to take place. After giving notice, if you change venue, you will be required to give another notice.

When you attend your appointment, you must bring documents to confirm your name, age, marital status and nationality, including:
  • A current valid passport. 
    • If you do not have a valid passport, you must bring a full birth certificate (if you were born after 1 January 1983, a copy of your mother’s full birth certificate or passport is required). You will also need to provide a form of photo ID, e.g. driving licence.
  • Proof of address in Tameside. One of the following is acceptable:    
    • Utility bill - dated within 2 months; bank statement - dated within 1 month; or your most recent Council tax bill.
  • If you have been widowed, the death certificate of your spouse
  • If you are divorced, a decree absolute bearing the courts original stamp (if you were divorced outside the UK, please contact the Register office)
  • Any documents relating to change of name
You will be charged £35.00 each to give notice


Outdoor marriages and civil partnerships

For further info

For further info



Emergency “out of hours”

An emergency “out of hours” service is available for the following only:
  • A Registrars General Licence provides for a marriage to take place in circumstances where one of the parties is seriously ill and not expected to recover, and cannot be moved to a place where the marriage could normally be solemnized. Marriage by Registrar General’s licence cannot take place in a register office, approved premises or a registered building.

This service can be requested via the Council’s 24 hour emergency call centre on 0161 342 2222


Other Useful Links

Tameside Approved Premises Register

Tameside Approved Premises Register


Purchase a Copy Marriage Certificate

Purchase a Copy Marriage Certificate


Covert your Same Sex Civil Partnership to Marriage

Convert your Same Sex Civil Partnership to Marriage




Contact Information
Contact by Post

Tameside Register Office
Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council
Tameside One
PO BOX 317
Contact by Telephone
0161 342 5032