Accessibility Statement
Chat icon Chat with us live



A child’s birth can be re-registered under certain circumstances.

If the child’s parents are not married to each other, and the father was not included in the original entry, it is possible to re-register the birth to include the natural father’s details. The new birth record will replace the original one. Both parents will have to complete and sign a form GRO185, available from the local Register Office.

The completed form, along with any documents required, must be sent to the Register Office the parents wish to attend. If you need any further information, please contact the Register Office.

Form GRO185 is available here

Form GRO185 is available here


If the child’s natural parents have married each other or formed a Civil Partnership after the birth of the child, and would like their marital status to be shown in the birth entry, it is possible to re-register any children born prior to the marriage or Civil Partnership. To do this, a form LA1, obtainable from the local Register Office, needs to be completed and returned, along with any documents required, to the Register Office the parent wishes to attend. Please contact the Register Office if you need any further help or information.

There is no charge for re-registration, but the usual fee is charged for any new birth certificates requested.

To obtain an application form go to

To obtain an application form



Re-registering a Child Born via a Surrogacy Arrangement

When a surrogate mother has a baby for another couple, she must register the child as her own. Since November 1994, the couple who arranged for the surrogate mother to carry a child for them, may obtain a Parental Order issued under Section 30 of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act from a court in the UK showing them as the child’s parents. Once the court has issued the Order, a new birth record can be made showing the commissioning parents as the parents of the child. Seek legal advice about applying for a Parental Order.


Re-registering a Child Where the Father Died Before the Child was Conceived

Where a child is conceived as a result of fertility treatment after the death of the father, it may be possible to include his details when the child is registered.


Contact Information
Contact by Post

Tameside Register Office
Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council
Tameside One
PO BOX 317
Contact by Telephone
0161 342 5032