For nearly 200 years, Park Bridge Ironworks was a thriving family business. Hundreds of people were employed here and its iron and steel were exported around the world. Nestling in the beautiful countryside of the Medlock Valley, here you can discover the fascinating past of this once busy ironworks.
Set in the old stables, Park Bridge Heritage Centre tells the story of this early industrial settlement up to the present day and the wealth of wildlife that has taken over since its demise.
From bird box building to environmental art, craft days and guided walks... a programme of countryside events runs throughout the year.
Park Bridge Management Plan 3.82 MB gives more information about the site as well as plans for the continued management by the Countryside Service.
Park Bridge is the ideal place to spend an afternoon.
- The Heritage Centre has displays to interest everyone, games for children, and fascinating facts and photographs about the ironworks, village, countryside and coal mining.
- There are several trails around Park Bridge taking in the extensive history and geology of the area.
- Leaflets on all trails and walks, in and around Tameside and the Medlock Valley, can be purchased in the Visitor Centre (some publications are free).
- You can have a picnic at the landscaped ruins nearby, or you could join in on one of the events we run throughout the year.
- There are toilets (including for people with a disability) and ample car parking.
- We have a level car park next to the Centre, and easy access to all parts of the Centre so that everyone can enjoy a visit to the full.
- Park Bridge is also an excellent starting point for walks to Daisy Nook, Hartshead Pike, Knott Hill and beyond.
You can visit the area all year round for free. The Heritage Centre does not charge for admission and is open as detailed below.
If you would like to keep our Heritage Centre open, please contact the Ranger Service.
Heritage Centre Opening Times
- The information room and toilets are open every day 9am - 4pm (3pm Fridays)
- The Heritage Centre is open by appointment only.
The centre holds permanent and temporary displays about Park Bridge and the local countryside. We sell a range of leaflets, maps and books detailing walks in the area. Light refreshments and toilets are also available.
Centre volunteers are on duty during opening hours, and you can contact the office from 8.30am to 4pm, Monday to Friday on 0161 330 9613.
For more information about Park Bridge and the Heritage Centre opening times and other countryside areas contact:
Park Bridge Heritage Centre, The Stables, Park Bridge, Ashton under Lyne Tameside, OL6 8AQ. Or 0161 330 9613