Information for Secondary School Offer Day
This is to let you know that the national offer day for secondary school places is 1 March 2014. As this is a Saturday, the letter confirming your child’s school allocation will be posted to you on 28 February 2014. We understand that this can be a very stressful time for parents and wanted to give you some information that you might find useful in advance of the offer day.
You will receive an email to the email address you used to register at some point on 28 February and a letter confirming your allocation will also be posted to you by first class post on that day. In order to protect your child’s personal information, the email will give you a link to the online admissions system where you can log in and view your allocation.
If you have forgotten your password, you can click on the ‘Forgotten you password?’ link and it will be reset for you.
As you will appreciate, the phone lines can get very busy on offer day and the days following, so here are our top tips:
- Please don’t phone us to ask us to tell you what your allocation is over the phone. For data protection reasons, we are unable to give out that information over the phone.
- If you are unsuccessful in gaining your first preference school, you will automatically be placed on the waiting list for that school and you can appeal to an independent panel. You must do this either online or in writing, we cannot accept appeals over the phone. Further details of how to appeal can be found on the school appeals pages . Unfortunately, we are unable to support you in preparing your school appeal as the School Admissions Team may be presenting at the appeal on behalf of the school you are appealing for.
- The appeal dates for secondary schools are between 6 May and 6 June. You will be informed at least 10 days in advance of the date of your appeal.
- The last date for a request for an appeal to be heard before the end of the summer term is 31 March 2014. If you submit an appeal after this date, it will still be heard but we cannot guarantee that it will be scheduled before the end of the summer term.
- You can find statistical information on the School Allocations in previous years page to see how places have been allocated this year and in previous years.
- Details of which position children are on a waiting list will be made available from 14 April 2014 onwards. Unfortunately, we cannot give any information on waiting lists before that date.
- If a place becomes available at your preferred school and your child is at the top of the waiting list, a member of the School Admissions Team will contact you to offer you the place. The waiting list is open for the whole of the school year.
- Any requests to change your allocation because of exceptional circumstances, for example, you have moved house, must be made in writing to this email address or to the School Admissions Team at the Council Offices.
For information on transferring your child to another school please use the following links:
Admission into Reception or Year 7 for September 2014
The closing date for Year 7 applications was 31 October 2013 and 15 January 2014 for Reception applications. You can still apply for a Reception or Year 7 place using the online application system but your application will be treated as late and processed after all the applications that were received on time.
The links on this page will give you all the information you will need throughout the application process, please add it to your favourites so you can come back here easily.
You should also read the information booklet ‘Moving On’ for secondary applications or ‘Starting Out’ for primary applications. These booklets give you details of all the schools in Tameside and the oversubscription criteria that will be applied if there are more applications than places available. There is also a lot more information you will need to look at before making your application.
View details of all the schools in the borough and how they will allocate places for September 2014. Please take the time to have a look especially if you are applying for a voluntary aided school. Some voluntary aided schools will ask for additional information to support your application, for example, proof of church attendance or a baptismal certificate. Please check with the school what additional information is required.
Moving On is your guide to applying for a place in Year 7
Starting Out 1.16 MB is your guide to applying for a place in Reception
School allocations in previous years
For information on how we have allocated places at primary and secondary schools in previous years, please visit our allocation statistics page
For information on how to appeal, please see our guide: Appealing for a School Place - Guidance for Parents
Appeals for secondary schools received on or before the deadline (31 March 2014) will be held as follows:
5 May 2014
|Fairfield Girls High School, St Thomas More RC School and St Damians RC School.|
12 May 2014
|Mossley Hollins High School|
19 May 2014
2 June 2014
|West Hill School, Alder Community School, Longdendale High School, Hyde Community College & All Saints RC College|
Late appeals (i.e. appeals submitted after the closing date of 31 March 2014) for secondary schools may not be heard in accordance with the above timetable. Please note that late appeals for Community High Schools will be scheduled for the first week of August 2014.
Admission into nursery classes in Tameside
For information on how to apply for a place in a nursery class at a Tameside school please use the following link: Nursery Admissions.
Please use the following links for the full admission arrangements for every maintained school in Tameside
- School Admission Arrangements for the School Year 2013/14
- School Admission Arrangements for the School Year 2014/15
- School Admission Arrangements for the School Year 2015/16 will appear here from 1 May 2014
Support for school age children
Free school meals
Please visit the free school meals web pages for information on if your child would be eligible for free school meals and how to apply.
Zero fare bus passes
Please visit the zero fare bus pass web pages for information on if your child would be eligible for a zero fare bus pass and how to apply.
School bus services in Tameside are provided by Transport for Greater Manchester. School bus timetables can be found on their website TfGM