Accessibility Statement
Skip to main content
Chat icon Chat with us live

Miss School - Miss Out


School Attendance Matters - Education Welfare Service


Child Employment - A Guide for Parents and Pupils


Do you need to register to work?

Yes you do. You cannot apply for a work permit until you have got a job. This is because the application for a work permit requires details of the employer and the proposed occupation. Information and application forms are available. This form must be completed by the employer, and signed by the parents. It is the responsibility of the employer to ensure that a work permit is obtained.

If there are no difficulties with the proposed employment, a work permit will be issued which you must carry at all time whilst you are working. The employer will also be notified that a permit has been issued.

The employer has a duty to share with the child's parent/carer an assessment of any risks that the child may face whilst at work.

It may be necessary for the child to attend for a medical examination.

It is important that every child who wants to work, obtains a work permit, so that he/she has the protection of appropriate insurance cover in case of an accident whilst at work

Child Employment

The Law says that: No child under the age of 13 years can be employed

Parents should be aware that Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council have issued regulations which cover the employment of children on a part time basis, either after school, at the weekend, or during the school holidays.

The following points should be noted:

  • No child under 13 years may be employed.
  • Children over 13 years are subject to certain restrictions, but may be employed when registered by the local authority and in possession of a work permit.
  • No child may be employed during school hours.
  • The regulation apply whether children are paid for their service or not.
  • Regulations apply when parents employ their own children.
  • A child who is not registered with the LA, is not covered for industrial injuries.
  • No child will be registered with the LA, and issued with a work permit, unless the parents have signed our medical questionnaire.

N.B. Any person who employs a child who is not registered is liable to prosecution.

If you need further information or advice, contact the Education Welfare Officer:


Child Employment

Contact information

Send us a message
0161 342 3258 and 0161 342 4094
Tameside MBC
Correspondence address only
Hyde Town Hall
Corporation Street
SK14 1AL
View location on map