Accessibility Statement
Chat icon Chat with us live

Help Towards Paying Your Council Tax

If you find monthly payments difficult, you can arrange to pay your bill weekly or fortnightly. If you choose this will need to notify us so that we can amend your instalment details.

You can also arrange to pay your Council Tax bill by 12 monthly instalments.

If you are experiencing difficulties, please make early contact with us, we will check that your bill is correct, and identify any reductions you may be entitled to that you have not claimed.

Please contact the Council Tax Revenues Department on 0161 342 2045 or to discuss this.

You may also be entitled to claim Council Tax Support, please below for further information:

Council Tax Support Scheme

The Council Tax Support Scheme provides financial assistance to Council Tax payers on a low income whether they rent or own their own home, or live rent-free, by reducing the amount of Council Tax they have to pay. The level of support provided under Council Tax Support may be significantly lower for some customers than they previously received under the Council Tax Benefit scheme. Claimants of a state pension age continue to receive the same level of support as they did under Council Tax Benefit. Claims for working age claimants are assessed differently.

Who is it for?

People on low income who are liable to pay Council tax may be entitled to help.

How is it worked out?

The Council will look at the money you and your partner have coming in as well as your savings. The Council will also look at your other circumstances such as your age and whether anyone else lives with you. With this information the Council will work out if you qualify for Council Tax Support. If you can get Council Tax Support, this will not affect the amount of money you receive in other benefits. The main aspects of the Council Tax Support Scheme for working age claimants are:
  • A maximum limit of 75% to the amount of Council Tax Support that can be paid
  • Council Tax Support is limited to the level that would be given for a band A property. You can find more information at the Council Tax Support Scheme page

How to claim:

You can claim Council Tax Support straight away by using the online application form at  
Here are other agencies which offer free advice if you are experiencing financial difficulties:

Welfare Rights Debt Advice Service
Tel: 0161 342 3494 if you are experiencing rent or mortgage difficulties.

Citizens Advice Bureau ext link
Tel: 0161 342 5005

National Debtline ext link
Tel: 0808 808 4000

Related Items