Accessibility Statement
Skip to main content
Chat icon Chat with us live

Planning Enforcement Complaint Form

If you wish to inform the Council of a potential breach of planning control, please fully complete and submit the planning enforcement complain form at the bottom of this page.

In deciding whether to make a complaint, you may find it helpful to visit the Council's planning and building control website to ascertain what, if any planning permissions have been granted at the site.  The website includes planning decisions and details about Tree Preservation Orders and Conservation Areas within the District.

The Council's planning enforcement function DOES NOT deal with the following types of complaints:

  • Neighbour disputes including works to party walls or fences, landownership issues, trivial domestic breaches of planning control driven by neighbour disputes and deeds of covenants issues – in these situations you will need to seek your own legal advice.
  • Non-taxed vehicles Please visit the DVLA website
  • Smoke/dust/noise/vibration or odour/ Breach of licenses for business premises Please report it at  or contact the Council’s Environmental Health Service on 0161 342 8355
  • Water leaks - please report to or telephone United Utilities Customer Services on 0800 330033.
  • Damage caused by Cable TV - Please report to Cable and Wireless by telephone on 0345 114455
  • Damage to Bus Shelters - please report to Transport to Greater Manchester or Email: or telephone: 0161 244 1720 so they can get them repaired as quickly as possible.

If you believe there is a breach of planning control, which you want the Council to investigate you will need to:

  1. Complete all sections of the enforcement complaint form so far as you are able otherwise your complaint will not be processed.
  2. Attach any supporting evidence including photos, drawings (retaining a copy your own records) you think assist in explaining your complaint as they will speed up our investigation.

Tameside Council reserves the right not to investigate your complaint unless you have fully completed the form. 

There may also be occasions when the Council decides not to investigate your complaint if it is deemed not to be expedient and/or in the public interest to do so.  You will be informed if it is decided not to investigate your complaint and why.

Before contacting/notifying the Council of your concerns, you are advised to consider whether your allegations relate to a neighbour dispute and/or if it is in the public interest to pursue.

On this basis the Council looks forward to receiving your completed enforcement complaint form which will enable us to attend to your concern.

Please be aware the Council's resources have been significantly reduced whilst, at the same time, our complaint workload remains very high.  Consequently a PRIORITY system has been set up to deal with those alleged breaches which have the greatest potential impact such Demolition or alterations to a Listed Building, felling or works to a preserved tree, breaches of planning control or conditions, which results in serious harm to amenity in a neighbourhood and affects a number of parties and requires immediate attention.  This will inevitably lead to some delays in dealing with relatively minor alleged breaches of planning control such as Advert control, or breaches which are technical in nature and not in significant conflict with planning policy or of a temporary in nature. 

Planning Enforcement Complaint Form