Business Rates



Self Service

View your information for Benefits, Council Tax and Business Rates online with the self service system. You can view payments made towards Council Tax and Business Rates accounts, and if you are a landlord you can view information relating to your tenants.

If you wish to make payments to the council, use the Pay It link on the left.

Go to the Self Service System


E-billing is available at Tameside

A significant number of ratepayers now receive their bills electronically.
If you would like to help the environment and receive your bill on-line please contact us at Business Rates with your email details, also quoting your business rates reference, company name and address

About Business Rates

Businesses and other organisations that occupy non-domestic property pay business rates. Business rates are collected by local authorities and are pooled by Central Government; the rates are then redistributed to local councils according to the number of people living in the area. This money, together with the revenue from council taxpayers and revenue support grant provided by the Government, is used to pay for the services we provide.

News Items

Refund Overpayments

Overpaid business rates will only be processed directly to your bank account. Email revenuesmail@tameside.gov.uk quoting your reference number, name and address, contact details and the bank account where you wish the refund to be paid.

2017/18 Multipliers

The non-domestic multiplier for 2017/18 is 47.9p
The small business non-domestic multiplier for 2017/18 is 46.6p

How it works

The local authority works out your Business Rates bill by multiplying the rateable value of the property by the appropriate multiplier.

Rateable Value

All non-domestic/business properties have a rateable value. This figure is based on a professional assessment of the annual rent of the individual property.

The rating lists that came into effect on 1 April 2010 are based on a valuation date of 1 April 2008 - all properties are valued from the same date to ensure that they are assessed on a level basis.

The VOA gathers as much evidence as possible about actual rents paid for properties in order to determine appropriate rental values.

The rateable value of your property is not the amount you pay in business rates, but it is the basis for the calculation of your business rates bill.

The Council calculates this bill by multiplying your rateable value by a factor set by the Government each year, this is known as the multiplier.

Want to check your rateable value?

View the Valuation Office Agency website www.gov.uk/government/organisations/valuation-office-agency Link to External Website

View information on the 2010 Revaluation


Central Government set two national non-domestic rate multipliers for each financial year for the whole of England. By law, the multipliers cannot increase or decrease by more than the rate of inflation, except in the year of a revaluation when it is set at a level which will keep the total amount raised in rates after the revaluation the same as before, plus inflation for that year.

From 1 April 2005 there are two national non-domestic multipliers; the standard multiplier and the small business multiplier. The former is higher to pay for small business rate relief.

Transitional relief

Transitional Relief explained (0.04MB)


The Valuation Officer may alter the rateable value if the circumstances have changed.

The ratepayer (and certain others who have an interest in the property) can appeal against the rateable value shown in the rating list if they believe it is wrong.

You can get more information on grounds for making an appeal, and on how to make an appeal, on the VOA website at: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/valuation-office-agency Link to External Website or by contacting your local Valuation Office at: David Grace Bsc (Hons) MRICS, Valuation Officer, Non-Domestic Rates Northwest, Liverpool Valuation Office, Redgrave Court, Merton Road, Bootle, Merseyside L20 7HS or telephone 03000 501 501.

If you have appealed against your rateable value, you must still pay the amount on your bill, you cannot withhold payment.

However, if your appeal is successful you can contact the Business Rates Team on 0161 342 2045 and apply for a refund of overpaid business rates, if appropriate.

Rating advisors

Ratepayers do not have to be represented in discussions about their rateable value or their rates bill, and appeals against rateable values can be made free of charge. However, should you wish to be represented, you should be aware that members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the Institute of Revenues, Rating and Valuation Link to External Website are qualified and regulated by rules of professional conduct designed to protect the public.

Reliefs and Exemptions

Please use the links below to find out about reliefs and exemptions available to qualifying business rate payers.

Small Business Rate Relief
Empty properties
Partly Occupied Property Relief
Charities and Community Amateur Sports Clubs
Non-profit Making Organisations
Hardship Relief
Further explanatory information regarding new reliefs
Supporting Small Businesses Relief (0.02MB)
Discretionary Relief Scheme (0.02MB)
Public House Relief Scheme (0.02MB)

Small Business Rate Relief 2017-2018

The Government acknowledged that more assistance should be given to small, single property businesses, and consequently introduced the Small Business Rate Relief Scheme The scheme was introduced on 1st April 2005 and is available to businesses meeting the qualifying criteria. Find out more about Small Business Rate Relief.

From 1 April 2017 ratepayers who occupy a property with a rateable value less than £51,000, and are not entitled to another mandatory relief, will have their bill calculated using the lower small business non-domestic rating multiplier (46.6p in 2017/18), rather than the national non-domestic rating multiplier (47.9p in 2017/18).

Also, if the sole or main property is shown on the rating list with a rateable value up to £15,000, the ratepayer will receive a percentage reduction (relief).

This relief is available to ratepayers who occupy either:

  • One business property in England and that property has a rateable value less than £15,000 on every day for which relief is being sought, or;
  • One main property and other additional properties providing those additional properties each have a rateable value of less than £2,900 and the total value of all properties is less than £20,000 on every day for which relief is being sought. In such cases only the 'main' property is entitled to relief.

Where there is an entitlement to relief the ratepayer will receive a 100% reduction in their rates bill on a property with a rateable value up to and including £12,000. Where the rateable value is between £12,001 and £14,999 the ratepayer will receive tapered relief.

For those already claiming small business rate relief, there is no need for you to do anything else the relief will be detailed on your Business Rates bill.  If you think that you meet the criteria, but have not yet applied, please contact the Business Rates Team to see if you are entitled to relief on 0161 342 2045 or by email revenuesmail@tameside.gov.uk.

Alternatively you can complete and return application form SBRR application form(0.31MB)

Unoccupied Property Rate

For the first three months that a property is empty, or six months in the case of industrial property, no business rates will be payable. If a property is still empty at the end of the three or six month period, then business rates will be charged at 100% of the basic occupied business rates. Find out more about unoccupied property exemptions.

Partly Occupied Property Relief

A ratepayer is liable for the full non-domestic rate whether the property is fully or only partly used. Where a property is partly occupied for a short time, in certain circumstances, we can apply to the Valuation Office Agency to award a temporary reduction for the part that is not in use. Find out more about Partly Occupied Property Relief.

Charitable Relief and Registered Community Amateur Sports Clubs Relief

Charities and registered Community Amateur Sports Clubs are entitled to 80% mandatory relief where the property is occupied by the Charity or Club and is wholly or mainly used for charitable purposes or as a Registered Community Amateur Sports Club. The local authority has discretion to give further relief on the remaining bill.

Apply for mandatory relief

Non-Profit Making Organisation Relief

The local authority has discretion to give relief to Non-Profit Making Organisations. We will judge each individual case on its' merits and in accordance with the Council's qualifying criteria.

Apply for discretionary relief

Hardship Relief

Hardship relief is a rate relief which may be awarded at the discretion of the Authority to ratepayers who are suffering financial hardship in payment of their Business Rates. Find out more about Hardship Relief



Freedom of Information

Business Rates Freedom of Information Requests

To download frequently requested Freedom of Information responses, please visit the Freedom of Information page.


Reporting changes

We need to know of any changes that may affect the amount of business rates you pay, the most important one being when you move in and out of a property. If you need to notify us of either or both of these changes please complete either/both of the attached forms.

Moving in

If you are moving into a business property in the Tameside area then you will need to register for business rates, please access our moving in form (0.13MB)

Moving out

If you are moving out of a business property in the Tameside area then you will need to notify us or order for us to amend your business rates account, access our moving out form (0.09MB)

How to pay



You can pay your Business Rates by a number of methods.

Direct Debit mandate (0.07MB) for payment of Business Rates

Contact Us

Please email us at revenuesmail@tameside.gov.uk  or use the contact details below. 

Contact Information
Contact by Post

Business Rates Service
Tameside MBC
Council Offices
PO Box 304
Contact by Telephone
0161 342 2045
Contact by Fax
0161 342 4416
Request this service online!


Related Items