Accessibility Statement
Chat icon Chat with us live

Council Tax Support scheme

The Council Tax Support Scheme became effective from 1 April 2013.


What is it?

The Council Tax Support Scheme provides financial assistance to Council Tax Charge payers on a low income whether they rent or own their home, or live rent-free, by reducing the amount of Council Tax they have to pay.

Who is it for?

People on low income who pay council tax may be entitled to help.

How is it worked out?

The council will look at the money you and your partner have coming in as well as your savings. The council will also look at your other circumstances such as your age and whether anyone else lives with you. With this information the council will work out if you qualify for Council Tax Support. If you can get Council Tax Support, this will not affect the amount of money you receive in other benefits.

Claimants of a state pensionable age receive support in accordance with the Council Tax Reduction Scheme (Prescribed Requirements) (England) Regulations 2012.

Claims for working age claimants are assessed differently.

  • Support is limited to a maximum discount of 75% for all working age claimants.
  • Working age claimants living in a band B property and above can only claim to a maximum of 75% of a band A liability and have to pay the difference in full.

You can find Tameside’s Council Tax Support Scheme 2022/2023 here

What should I do next?

To see what your entitlement could be under the Council Tax Support scheme please use the on-line calculator.

Claim straight away. There are no backdates allowed in the Council Tax Support Scheme.

You can also use the Online Council Tax Support claim form Link to External Website.

What if I disagree with the decision?

If you are unhappy with a decision we have made with regard to your Council Tax Support, you can ask us to explain our decision. Write to us with the reasons why you are unhappy with the decision and we will look at the decision again.

If, after we have looked at the decision again, you are still not satisfied with our decision you can appeal. You can also appeal if you have not heard back from us within two months. If you decide to appeal, you will need to send your appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service which will arrange for your appeal to be heard by an independent tribunal.

You can appeal against the decision online or download the Council Tax Support scheme appeal form (0.23MB)

If you have problems accessing the application form please phone 0161 342 3708 for assistance.


Contact Information
Contact by Post

Revenues Division
PO Box 304
Contact by Telephone
0161 342 3708
Contact by Fax
0161 342 2012
Request this service online!